Unable to remap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telltinnick

Car
C220cdi sport Estate
Newbie post alert! ...I was disappointed when Peter Doidge in Yarmouth told me they were unable to remap my w204 2008 c220 cdi sport due to there being a lock on the software.
Advice please and any recommendations in the east Norfolk/Suffolk area?
I read there is a link on this forum so you can check via chassis no how much torque your gearbox can handle.

Do you have the 646? You probably do looking at the year, same as mine. GAD said they could remap that engine.

I hunted high and low for torque rating for the specific 5G we have in our year of C220. I think it can take a mild remap. I posted about it a good while back.

I think the gearbox number is this 722640 07 475583

Last edited:
Capture.JPG

But I couldn't work out fully what that meant for torque rating. I think it means we have a W5A580 gear box, 580 being max Nm it can take.

Bottom of Fig 1 shows W5A 580 for passenger cars with 8 and 12 cylinder engines, W5A 330 for passenger cars with 4,5 and 6 cylinder engines, which suggests ours would be W5A 330 rather than 580.

You're right but that pic is from an old document though, early 2000s. Before the W204 was out and had that box. Somewhere else I've seen but cant find now reckoned that the W204 gearbox code corresponded to a 580 box. Not sure I'd want to risk it though - excess torque kills boxes.

Thanks for your advice, gives me food for thought. I only do around 6000 miles a year and most of them are in traffic so I doubt I’d be able to boot it as much as I’d like...

Do you have the 646? You probably do looking at the year, same as mine. GAD said they could remap that engine.

I hunted high and low for torque rating for the specific 5G we have in our year of C220. I think it can take a mild remap. I posted about it a good while back.

I think the gearbox number is this 722640 07 475583
Where would I find that out whether it’s a 646 please?

Where would I find that out whether it’s a 646 please?

Put your Vin# into this website.

Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder

This will give you all the options fitted at build. 3rd line down gives the engine code. First 3 numbers will tell you if you have a 646 engine.
The transmission code is 4th line down.

Clive Atthowe in Norwich, I’ve never used them myself but know people who have and recommended them.

Home - Engine Tuning

so what was the cause?
Apparently my car is so old the remap gear they use is plug n play. My ecu would need to come out and be cracked open and bench read..I don’t want to risk the housing getting damaged because it’s too brittle due to age.. that was their advice anyway.

The franchise remappers all list the vehicle .

Celtic Tuning , Quantum Tuning etc .

Is the box the same as a C250 CDI as torque is already 500Nm and 80Nm isn't any headroom at all .

No it's not, there was never a c250 646.

Yes, it's an ecu out bench remap.

A few years back I was quoted £250 for someone to come to me and remap to 190bhp 460nm but they don't seem to be around any more. Msl Birmingham might do them too.

It’s looking like I’ll stick with what I’ve got.. which I’m actually happy with. I don’t want to compromise reliability... I’ll just buy a C or E250/350 next!

It’s looking like I’ll stick with what I’ve got.. which I’m actually happy with. I don’t want to compromise reliability... I’ll just buy a C or E250/350 next!

AC Tuning in Hellesdon did my E350 CDI it may take sometime though as they were unable to go through the OBD2 as some Mercedes are locked through tuning it took nearly 3 hours as it was a ECU out on the bench remap and in again performance gains are quite good as well taking mine from 265hp -> 300hp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom