Unable to trace the knock/clunk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

westy2005

Car
Mercedes E300DT
Hi Guys

Hoping for a shove in the right direction - When i bought the car (97' E300TD) in September it had a minor knock from the front end everytime i went over a hump or similar, overtime it sounds like it has got worse.

It passed its MOT in December after replacing a track rod end (excessive play) but the knocking is still there, it has since been back on the ramps and the garage says all bushes and drop links appear ok.

Any ideas on where to go next with this - would welcome anyone local to have a listen as its blown my mind as to what it can be.

cheers
sam

check your bushes and wishbone region, had similar knock on my 323i and new bushes helped

I would be looking at the roll bar links. They are only cheap at about £8 each.

+1 for the droplinks. Had these go on several cars in the past. Really hard to spot when looking at them because there can be no sign of wear at all.

Check the horizontal bolt that fastens the bottom of the shocker to the lower wishbone. If these become slack, they wear the holes in the wishbone lugs.

And clonk.

You won't see anything like that.
Sit in the car and have a helper violently rock the car side to side using the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom