Unable to turn ignition key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kristan

Car
1991 W124 300 CE 24v - 200K miles and rising!
Guys,

An old 300CE I'm trying to make run again (see separate thread) has developed a new fault - I'm totally unable to turn the ignition. It had been a bit of a sod for a few days, but now totally refuses to turn, not matter how much jiggling of the key I perform.

The original key was well worn, so got a new one cut in the hope it would be fine. Unfortunately it looks like it might be something more. Is this something I can solve with a new barrel and key or is it likely to be something else preventing the key from turning? No point in me replacing the thing if it turns out to be something else!

Cheers :thumb:

There are other threads on this very subject if you use the search facility.

The long and short of it is that you need to get the key to position 1 in order to remove the barrel easily. Then armed with all your documents, you can oder a replacement barrel to fit your existing keys.

If you cant turn your key to position 1 the lock removal is somewhat harder but still doable.

A search will reveal all.

Did a quick search before but just turned up your thread now - new barrel & keys ordered and seeing as it won't turn at all, I think it might be slide hammer time to remove it.

I see references in some threads about needing to remove the steering column, what's that about??

You wont need to remove the steering column unless you use utter overkill to remove the barrel.

I'd be cautious about using a slide hammer too if it were me. Far safer to dremel off the black metal lock surround which will enable you to insert the tool and slide out the barrel without being too brutal.

Thank god for that - was rather concerned that this project that started off simple enough was turning into a total nightmare :)

I've read the various threads now and I'm thinking dremel might be the best option - I'll have a look when the new one arrives and get the tools out.

Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom