UnAlloyed Rip Offs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Connoisseur

SUPPORTER
Car
A205 C200 Cab; Porsche Macan; BMW i3s
Do sellers of alloy wheels on eBay manage to sell the kerbed/damaged/naff looking wheels that they put up for auction?

I ask because two of the 18” AMG alloys which came with my W205 C200 had been diamond cut to within an inch of their lives, and really had nowhere to go except the metal recycler.

So having checked out the price per wheel from a Mercedes Dealer 🤣 circa £700 each (well one does enjoy a good laugh from time to time) I took a look at independent sellers with wheels for sale on eBay. Happy to do so as I’ve previously bought top quality wheels for cars such as Porsche, Lexus and BMW from reputable eBay sellers at good prices.

So was quite stunned to see a wide range of W205 18” AMG wheels in various states of wrack and ruin (380 degree kerbing, chips, warped spokes, iffy paint jobs) all up for serious money; I mean circa £200 - this for kerbed wheels mind you, not refurbed 👀👀🙄😳 so having bought these wheels you then need to pay £100 plus per wheel to get properly refurbed, and diamond cut, that is if there is enough metal left to cut again, and the wheel structure is sound.

So do people pay this sort of money for damaged wheels, or do the sellers chop their prices and offer them at big discounts to their auction watchers?

Amongst all the wheels if you look hard and check carefully there are a few good ones available at fair prices, including some being sold by Mercedes Dealers. I found two, one front and one rear, both in very good condition and not refurbed so no hidden surprises; fair prices too.

As an illustration this wheel is up for £190 which, for a well chipped and kerbed example, seems rather high. Maybe I am just in the wrong business😏

Attachments

• A4273CA8-1259-4389-804C-E2BB75EA7F72.png
    A4273CA8-1259-4389-804C-E2BB75EA7F72.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
I have two 18" rears for sale on ebay , both with unused Bridgestone SO1 tyres and tpm. One has no marks on the diamond cut face @ £295 and the other with two areas of light curb rash @ £215 and they haven't been refurbished.

Attachments

• IMG_1637A.JPG
    IMG_1637A.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 10
i was about to say, buying second hand off long standing forum members seems to be the way to go. I've seen loads of good ones come and go at sensible prices.
I've had good success sourcing a full set of non staggered 17s for winter set up. Not previously refurbed and needed a powder coat refurb on all 4, but they were....

free :D

Of course tyres and tpms usually add value to a deal. Will be interesting to know how you get on. Good luck with the sales 👍

Of course tyres and tpms usually add value to a deal. Will be interesting to know how you get on. Good luck with the sales 👍
Sold an unmarked front with a used Potenza SO1 (7mm tread) for £280 a few weeks ago.

So having checked out the price per wheel from a Mercedes Dealer 🤣 circa £700 each
For new wheels, it's always worth checking on alloywheelsdirect. They generally easily beat the dealer prices on genuine MB & AMG wheels.

For new wheels, it's always worth checking on alloywheelsdirect. They generally easily beat the dealer prices on genuine MB & AMG wheels.
18" rear from AWD with tyre and TPM circa £820.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom