Unbearably loud road noise on driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Hi,

Longdrive down M40 and M25 this weekend.

I noticed that at speed, the road noise was unbearably loud. THis was esp on the stretch of the M25 around the A3/M3 South West section

Also notice the noise was very speed dependent.

I have not noticed road noise before and was wondering if this is a new design feature of road tarmac to encourage sticking to certain speeds.

Or could this be something to do with my car?

Nothing wrong with your car it's a concrete road surface between J8 (Reigate) and J10 (A3). I live close to J6 (Godstone) so know this section well.

I find the noise far worse on the anti clockwise carriageway J9 to J8 than the other direction.

There seems to a resonance sweet spot depending on the car. Our SL is deafening between 65 and 75mph on that section, so I usually slow it down to 60 there.

Our E is ok around 70 but nothing faster.

Last edited:
Think you will find that section of the M25 has a grooved concrete surface. Its very hard wearing - think its the original surface, but is very noisy.

I also find that Continental tyres are noisier than Michelins on that stretch.

Think you will find that section of the M25 has a grooved concrete surface. Its very hard wearing - think its the original surface, but is very noisy.

I also find that Continental tyres are noisier than Michelins on that stretch.

Conti's on our E, Pirelli's on our SL.

Continentals are truly shocking on that bit of road, that was the thing that made me ditch them on the E350 after less than 1200 miles on them.

I remember this noise when I went to Croydon at xmas i thought my wheels were going to fall off ;(
I'm on conti 5ps , very annoying .!!

That is the exact stretch I'm talking about.

I was going anticlockwise.

The sound was deafening in the E class but was OK at 70. Rather not say more about what speeds it was loud at. However, deafening does not do it justice. My ears were physically hurting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom