Unbelievable Estimate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
Well my car has been to repairers and they want £3700.00 for a small amount of body work. Dented passenger door, slightly scuffed front and rear bumpers and a new wheel. I was expecting it to be no more than £600.00. Looks like i'll have to say goodbye to my beautiful w202 c280

You must be absolutely gutted.

Did you go down the insurance route in the end? If so what have they offered?

It would be a shame to scrap the car for the sake of someone elses profit margin. If the insurance have offered a few hundred pounds, then as others have suggested why not buy a wheel on ebay, then buy a door when something comes up and get the bumpers sorted by a smart repair.

Hope things turn out ok.

Regards, Neil

FWIW, I paid £1000 about 5 years ago for two new non-Mercedes wings and a partial respray (all round up to window height, i.e. not the roof and bonnet), same blue as you. A few minor dings knocked out. The respray was good quality, so it sounds to me like there are either an awful lot of Mercedes list price parts going on there or the job is being priced at Mercedes workshop prices. I'd point out that the non-Mercedes wings are at least as rust proof as the originals!

Tony,you were given the solution on a plate with the breaker offered you,which had everything you needed to repair yours and would of had change from £300.
:confused:

And by the way, those wheels don't look too pricey.

Unbelievable response more like

Well my car has been to repairers and they want £3700.00 for a small amount of body work. Dented passenger door, slightly scuffed front and rear bumpers and a new wheel. I was expecting it to be no more than £600.00. Looks like i'll have to say goodbye to my beautiful w202 c280

So many options and you're choosing disposal. Like cutting your foot off because your shoe needs re-heeling.

Just get a second estimate, a realistic contract repair using used parts will save the car.

That's a joke, I've done full repairs for less money. Take it to another bodyshop and get some other estimates

There may be damage to a or b post I did say from the start this was likely to end as a total loss

Your speaking 4 wheel alignment check ,both bumpers off, stripped ,repair and paint times on bumpers ,new door and adjacent blend panels new door ,seal etc etc it soon gets out of hand

Was that an estimate from a mercedes approved bodyshop ? I imagine so

Perhaps it would help to make a better assessment if the OP posted photographs of the damage?

don't know why it needs a new door when there's only a small dent in it and for you people who say about the car that has now gone to the breakers i had nowhere to keep it anyways. cheers, Tony. ps estimate was from Parkers of leicester and their not a Mercedes approved repairer. Think ill buy it back as salvage and do the things myself.T.

Last edited:
just seen your edit,you now want to buy it back? crikey good luck on that one.:confused:

Last edited:
don't know why it needs a new door when there's only a small dent in it and for you people who say about the car that has now gone to the breakers i had nowhere to keep it anyways. cheers, Tony. ps estimate was from Parkers of leicester and their not a Mercedes approved repairer. Think ill buy it back as salvage and do the things myself.T.

Try Thurmaston Bodyworks. Not the cheapest, but good work at sensible prices.

Couldn't the car going to the breakers have gone minus one door?

Ask for a cash settlement, you keep the car, it's not catogorized salvage, and you get the money to mend it yourself, better for you, and cheaper for the insurance company.

Sorry Tony,I read wrongly into your post that you had sent your car to
the breakers,my mistake,post a picture of the damage and I am sure there
will be some suggestions.:thumb:

Try Thurmaston Bodyworks. Not the cheapest, but good work at sensible prices.

Couldn't the car going to the breakers have gone minus one door?

Yes,Grahamcol was up for letting Tony swap the door over prior to scrapping.:confused:

I'm confused. At 15.08 we are told:
"Looks like i'll have to say goodbye to my beautiful w202 c280"
Then at 22.19 we are told:
"..the car that has now gone to the breakers i had nowhere to keep it anyways."

Like I said, I'm confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom