Unbelievable !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chic0821

MB Enthusiast
Car
S63 AMG Coupe, Range Rover Sport, 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
My son received a letter yesterday from Transport for London telling him that his Range Rover 2014 will not be Ulez compliant for the expanding Ulez zone from 25 Oct 2021.
Considering he lives in Scotland & the car has never been in London, he thought his plates may have been cloned & were picked up by cameras in London for him to get this letter.
He contacted them by Webchat to ask the question but was astonished by the reply. Apparently Transport for London asked the DVLA to send them a list of all vehicles in the UK that were not ULEZ compliant & Transport for London is sending letters to everyone informing of this.
How many letters are going out, I don't know, must be millions & the cost, god only knows. Its us that are paying for this. Money seems to be no object to these clowns.

Nope, very believable, it is a local authority after all......
The only other option in their world would be to fax out the messages

Not its not un-believable, Its called stealth taxation, and believable .
Tuercas viejas

I hate what they're doing with this ulez!
When I drive to work every morning I see some really nice cars that are 2015 or older and I just think, they'll all be gone by October as I just can't see people spending so much money to use their car every day after the expansion

Going against the grain here, but to my mind, the fact that TfL sent out letters to the registered keeper of each an every non-compliant car in the UK, is sound proof that ULEZ is about cleaner air on city centres, and not about generating revenue for local authorities. It's a thumbs-up from me.

I got my letter Friday.
So there's a good portion of the ulez profits already spent.

The tax man sends me many reminders of my tax year ending in January, right through the year.
TV licence letters to mt properties must be twice a month.
The latest is to harass me / us into having bloody smart meters installed. Turn the frickin' light off that'll save energy.

And these fum ducks who authorise all this are telling us to save the planet.
Start by saving the forests plonkers.

I got my letter Friday.
So there's a good portion of the ulez profits already spent.

The tax man sends me many reminders of my tax year ending in January, right through the year.
TV licence letters to mt properties must be twice a month.
The latest is to harass me / us into having bloody smart meters installed. Turn the frickin' light off that'll save energy.

And these fum ducks who authorise all this are telling us to save the planet.
Start by saving the forests plonkers.
Change your preferences to receive email notifications from hmrc. It is your choice to have them send you letters not theirs.
Are they really the fum ducks?

Change your preferences to receive email notifications from hmrc. It is your choice to have them send you letters not theirs.
Are they really the fum ducks?
Why is it so attractive to keep getting dumb emails? I find the barrage of those to be just as annoying, although admittedly the delete is easier and less wasteful.

Several reminders of such things is ott. Yes fum as duck. There are too many disorganisations carrying out pointless tasks and often failing in their core purpose, but attempting to justify their existence and disguise their failings. TFL with their ULEZ, Bristol with their CAZ are causing massive frustrations. How many real life people will be caused hardship with these strategies? Never mind the frustrations of trying to right any wrongs when guilt is assumed with significant cost.

Going against the grain here, but to my mind, the fact that TfL sent out letters to the registered keeper of each an every non-compliant car in the UK, is sound proof that ULEZ is about cleaner air on city centres, and not about generating revenue for local authorities. It's a thumbs-up from me.

And who in these cities are exposed to the most pollution !?

And who in these cities are exposed to the most pollution !?

Probably the drivers. But either way, the pollution affects very many people, to varying degrees, and no level of pollution is "good'. So good ridence.

Don't think you understood my post. If they want ULEZ zones, that's fine by me, but what I wanted to put across was the expense of lettering all non ulez owners. The country is in enough debt without London adding to it. I am sure there are sufficient street signs in London to alert drivers that they are entering a ULEZ zone. How many people who do not stay near London or even visit it payed much attention to the letter. My son was only concerned that his plate had been cloned & picked up by cameras in London, so contacted them to ask the question. What's next, are we going to get similar letters from every town in the UK if they decide to introduce these zones.

Don't think you understood my post. If they want ULEZ zones, that's fine by me, but what I wanted to put across was the expense of lettering all non ulez owners. The country is in enough debt without London adding to it. I am sure there are sufficient street signs in London to alert drivers that they are entering a ULEZ zone. How many people who do not stay near London or even visit it payed much attention to the letter. My son was only concerned that his plate had been cloned & picked up by cameras in London, so contacted them to ask the question. What's next, are we going to get similar letters from every town in the UK if they decide to introduce these zones.

True, but on the other hand, if someone did decide to drive down to London from far away, and only faced with the ULEZ warning signs when reaching the outskirts of the Capital - and not knowing on the spot if their car is ULEZ complaint or not - they would just drive through, then get hit the £160 penalty charge, and blame TfL of deliberately setting-out to trap unaware motorists...

Looks like TfL really can't win on that front.

As I said, my personal view is that TfL did well by reaching-out to owners of all non-compliant vehicles and making them aware of the charge. They have demonstrated that they are really interested in preventing polluting cars from entering the capital rather than in collecting the charge (or penalty fine).

Probably the drivers. But either way, the pollution affects very many people, to varying degrees, and no level of pollution is "good'. So good ridence.
Agreed, the village where I live is a tourist trap and this year is busier than ever. I was eating dinner at a restaurant last night and we had a window table, outside the restaurant is a zebra crossing, I was astounded at the number of cars that drove straight through while people were crossing, bloody tourists.

they would just drive through, then get hit the £160 penalty charge,
You will know better than me as you live in London, but according to the letter there is a daily charge of £12.50 if you do not meet Ulez standards. Nothing about £160 charge.

You will know better than me as you live in London, but according to the letter there is a daily charge of £12.50 if you do not meet Ulez standards. Nothing about £160 charge.
My cars are ULEZ compliant, so not hit by the charge myself, but my understanding is that if you fail to pay the £12.50 you're hit with a penalty charge of £160 (or £80 if paid within 14 days).

All very confusing of you've just reached the city after a long drive and you have no idea if your car is 'ULEZ-compliant' or not.

Last edited:
What's next, are we going to get similar letters from every town in the UK if they decide to introduce these zones.
and to all those millions that may decide to cross the channel. In their own language to be fair to them.

My cars are ULEZ compliant
Happy days for you.
I thought one of ours was, the 2012 1.8 petrol Civic. No letter but the pretty well known TFL websites says not.
Mind, like anyone could do I checked.
Now I've the aggro to hope they will put that right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom