Uncomfirtable seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without a doubt, Volvo Seats are the most comfortable for any long or short journey, good lumbar support and Seat comfort.
MB TAKE NOTE !!

BAZZER1

I think car seats are as varied as the rear ends that occupy them. Most seats alter with the varied models from any particular marque. On most makes L, LX, GLX and so on. The same goes for what model, A class B class and so on. Plus, there are then various options on seating....sport, comfort, dynamic....leather....and so on. As for ??? Bums, well, big, small, young, old, supported on long legs, short legs...... I have a large well padded exterior, supported on a rather knackered back.
I have over the years had various cars...... The most comfortable? Phaeton, Mercedes CL, Mercedes 560 SEL, and Jaguar. Seats are a matter of opinion. I doubt there is one seat that will suit all.

My 209 clk gave me horrible back ache on journeys longer than 30 mins. I tried every adjustment but couldn't get comfortable.

W220 s class has very comfy seats. 5 hours without a break and no issues...

Mrs camerafodder always complained about the seats in my old S211. I have to admit they weren't the most comfortable I've ever sat in. I did 100,000 miles in that car though so it couldn't have been too bad! The seats in my Touareg represent a huge step up in comfort from my old mercs though.

I find the driver's seat in my 210 uncomfortable in the backside and bottom of thigh regions after about an hour and a half. Was wondering if 211 seats were better: any views on this?

Anyway, I accidentally found a miracle cure. One day when loading up to go on holiday, there was nowhere else to put a pillow, so I sat on it. Wow. World's most comfortable seat! :bannana:

I find the driver's seat in my 210 uncomfortable in the backside and bottom of thigh regions after about an hour and a half. Was wondering if 211 seats were better: any views on this?

Anyway, I accidentally found a miracle cure. One day when loading up to go on holiday, there was nowhere else to put a pillow, so I sat on it. Wow. World's most comfortable seat! :bannana:

I find the W210 more comfortable than the W211. I'm 5'11" and 12 stone. I know people both smaller and larger than me that find the W211 a very comfy car though...

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with 210 seats to enable me to compare. I found the 211 seats reasonable and I had the ventilated cooling option which I really liked on long summer journeys.

Good point the later versions of the W204 with the 16" wheels had un-feasibly high recommmended tyre pressures. :eek: 36psi all round-- Why this had to be different from the previously recommended 30 front/33 rear for light loading on the self same car I have never found a satisfactory answer to --- I suspect it was to do with achieving certain emission figures . :rolleyes:

Maybe but I don't have a problem with the ride, seat or experience uneven tyre wear, so in my opinion the pressures of 36psi are feasible.

Hi folks, have a W204 2014 C Class Executive SE with the Artico Leather seats. The seats give me and passengers a sore backside on a long journey any tips for adjustments to solve the problem?
Thanks

Persevere, whenever I changed to a Merc van or BMW from a ford its always taken a few miles to find the right position. My doctor advised it's actually the the support in the seat that I was just not used to and other seats lack this support.

Seat comfort is an individual thing.

True, we are all different, and we all need lumbar support in different places, Korean/Jap car has the lumbar lower than a German. For me the French don't offer much if any lumbar support at all, thankfully..:D

Well iv got a full C63 special order interior including door cards in the for sale section if your intrested.

Oh I miss my V70 leather electric seats, thanks for reminding me.

The kids were in love with the in-built / integral booster cushions! (grown out of them now though)

C class seats maybe a tad too small?

To the OP, I suffered from lower back pain for ages, my chroprachter set up the seat on my W218 and no issues since. Essentially, the lowest stress position for driving is 'transit van', imagine your ankles not being pushed back and you pressing the pedals downwards. The way to achieve this position (ish) on a merc is to have the seat as high as you can take and the seat back quite upright. This will also solve your buttock pain as has been suggested earlier, the stress you driving position puts on your lower back and hips is usually the cause of pain.

I had a Volvo V40 T4 and a SAAB Aero. Both had spectacular seats, how the Germans didn't twig to this and recruit their designers I'll never know. If I could shoehorn my old 93 Aero seats into the CLS I would be a very happy man!

I find the seats awful

I have a merc w204 class 2009 and the seat is so uncomfortable for long journeys. You cannot relax and find the seat base too short for long legs and tilt doesn't go in the correct directions. You end up tilting forward when raising the seat and then having to put the seat back much further back. I have never had this issue in any car ever.. The past cars I've had have been volvo (Volvo best seats ever)bmw330 ci sport, Hyundai velostar, Audi A3 and then my merc.

I have to be honest and say I hate it for long journeys and going local is just about bearable.

I'm amazed Mercedes a company who spend fortunes on development can produce such a poor seat for a so called premium car.

Looking to change and sell it after only 2 months. .theres no pleasure at all driving it. Really disappointed

Ps ..as the post above says if I could put Volvo seats in my merc I would be so happy

I solved the problem for £16.56 (per seat)!

I don't care what anyone says, the seats in my SL350 were as comfortable as a park bench.

I complained bitterly that long journeys (1.5 hr +) were purgatory, but most MBCUK folk thought they were fine. One even said he and his wife did tours of Europe in their SL and had no issues!

However, everyone agreed that it was a personal thing, and so if YOU find the seats uncomfortable, then they ARE uncomfortable!

My solution was to make up some foam seat cushions constructed from 3cm of 'Firm' under 2cm of 'Medium' "Cut to size" foam. I used a company: Foam cut to size.

My wife modified some cotton pillow cases, I dyed them black, and hey presto, my backside was happy!

Two additional things:
1. My wife still teases me that "It's the only car I've had to make loose covers for!". (Yes, highly amusing, but she still uses the cushions!).

2. I did experiment a bit with foam densities to get the right comfort level (for me), even trying 3 different foam layers at one point.
Stick with 2, and don't bother with Memory foam, incidentally.

Anyway, given the cheapness of the foam, experimentation was not a problem.

I also added a 15cm long tapered wedge of Extra Firm foam at the very rear of the cushions, because the 350's seat bases seemed to disappear where they met the seat backs; a 'sink hole' if you like that produced dreadful posture. So the wedge filled the hole in and flattened/levelled the seat base.
(Who at MB designed the damn seats? Hopeless IMO!).

I've now changed the car to an SL AMG, and oddly enough the seats are more comfortable. (I've still kept the foam cushions for long journeys though!)

So, that's how it worked for me :)

Cheers,
Robert

I solved the problem for £16.56 (per seat)!

I don't care what anyone says, the seats in my SL350 were as comfortable as a park bench.

I complained bitterly that long journeys (1.5 hr +) were purgatory, but most MBCUK folk thought they were fine. One even said he and his wife did tours of Europe in their SL and had no issues!

However, everyone agreed that it was a personal thing, and so if YOU find the seats uncomfortable, then they ARE uncomfortable!

My solution was to make up some foam seat cushions constructed from 3cm of 'Firm' under 2cm of 'Medium' "Cut to size" foam. I used a company: Foam cut to size.

My wife modified some cotton pillow cases, I dyed them black, and hey presto, my backside was happy!

Two additional things:
1. My wife still teases me that "It's the only car I've had to make loose covers for!". (Yes, highly amusing, but she still uses the cushions!).

2. I did experiment a bit with foam densities to get the right comfort level (for me), even trying 3 different foam layers at one point.
Stick with 2, and don't bother with Memory foam, incidentally.

Anyway, given the cheapness of the foam, experimentation was not a problem.

I also added a 15cm long tapered wedge of Extra Firm foam at the very rear of the cushions, because the 350's seat bases seemed to disappear where they met the seat backs; a 'sink hole' if you like that produced dreadful posture. So the wedge filled the hole in and flattened/levelled the seat base.
(Who at MB designed the damn seats? Hopeless IMO!).

I've now changed the car to an SL AMG, and oddly enough the seats are more comfortable. (I've still kept the foam cushions for long journeys though!)

So, that's how it worked for me :)

Cheers,
Robert

You should patent and sell your concept to MB R&D.

At the end of the day it is poor by Mercedes ... Enough people are saying the same thing.. They should have at least had a option of comfort option and its very very poor artico vinyl rubbish. It lets the car down like the plastics of the interior.... No comparison to bmw or audi.. The C class is rotten I'm going back to bmw for a 5 series.

Last edited:
In fairness my W219 is very comfortable ( multi contour active heated and cooled), then I suppose to some extent it depends on any aliments you may have.

Seriously thinking of going back to a Volvo, Comfortable Seats, No Rust Problems, and great Reliability, Its a No Brainer really.

BAZZER1

Seriously thinking of going back to a Volvo, Comfortable Seats, No Rust Problems, and great Reliability, Its a No Brainer really.

BAZZER1

another issue ive found is the stupid cup holder placement is bang in the way of gear changing. HenCe your constantly knocking your drink with the bad cup holder design that leaves any cup or drink standing out which u can't avoid. Some really bad design errors that are the basics of design courses.

another issue ive found is the stupid cup holder placement is bang in the way of gear changing. HenCe your constantly knocking your drink with the bad cup holder design that leaves any cup or drink standing out which u can't avoid. Some really bad design errors that are the basics of design courses.

On the SL's you get the left cup holder for free, BUT, if you want the right hand one too, you have to specify it at purchase!
Just over £100 if memory serves.

That's why on most SL's the right hand one is a Look-a-like plastic blank!

Well, at over £100K new, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, CHARITY? :D

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom