Undecided on what to do with my C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
My 2012 W204 C63 Saloon is without doubt the best car I have ever owned, the noise, the drama.,...it forever puts a smile on my face. I bought it in July 2020 and it currently has 64k miles on the clock in which I have covered almost 4k of them. Soon after I bought it, I noticed that the gear changes at lower speeds were a tad lumpy. The car pulling away at medium throttle feels a little rough and this is more noticeable when the car is upto temperature. Floor the car and push it hard and that roughness goes and it pulls like a train through the gears. In September 2020 it went into Mercedes Warrington and had £2500's worth of work carried out fixing various oiul leaks from under the engine and it had an ATF change. No more leaks and the engine is as clean as a whistle. The car doesnt use any oil or water and no funny noises at all on start up....

In December 2020, I was still unhappy with the 'jerkiness' of the gearbox at lower speeds and the roughness of it especially when warm. It went back into Mercedes and it had the gearbox recalibrated (whatever that means). I thought this had solved it as the car felt much much nicer to drive and smoother. However, in the past week or so the jerkiness and lumpiness of the gear changes has come back again.

In addition to this, when pulling away at junctions or on a slight incline with the wheels turned, its making a rumbling/scraping noise from the rear. Im thinking that maybe brake related (something catching) or could it be the diff? Is this linked to the lumpiness and slight jerkiness at lower speeds? Is it the gearbox at fault? All such questions running around my mind and to be honest its spoiling the experience for me at present. I know these cars are going up in value. Mine is very very clean with Full Mercedes History and I know it would fetch circa £21k if I was to put her up for sale. However, webuyanycar.com have offered £18500.....i know they will knock me down but part of me is like if I get £18k I would probably sell and use the money to get something else....

If only I could find somebody to diagnose the problem for me. Its been on the ramps in two seperate garages and neither could find any issues with it underneath. What you guys do in my opinion? Get shut or spend spend spend on getting an Indy to try and find out what is what?

Maybe get an Indy to come out with you so you can show then the noise?

Get shut. I've thrown money at loads of cars trying to get them right and even if you do get it fixed, there will be something else if its starting to cause problems.

If I could have my time again I would have sold a few cars much earlier than I did, took the hit and saved much more money in the long run!

Get shot and buy something new.

If webuyanycar are offering £18500...realistically how close am I to get this?

Personally i wouldn't sell anything to WBAC unless desperate be prepared to have your pants pulled down when they view it 😅

Have you driven another c63 I.e. Are the issues you are having really something that doesnt/shouldn't exist?

Mine doesn't have any of the issue's mentioned

When was the diff last serviced?

Have you driven another c63 I.e. Are the issues you are having really something that doesnt/shouldn't exist?
To be honest no I havent but im pretty in tune with my cars and something doesnt feel quite right

Personally i wouldn't sell anything to WBAC unless desperate be prepared to have your pants pulled down when they view it 😅
Genuine question, is this from experience or just the thought of them?

Genuine question, is this from experience or just the thought of them?
A family friend used them and the experience was shocking so they returned home still with the car,they are not bothered about how you look after your vehical , if they have offered £18.500 i would be shocked if the OP receives an offer above £17,500 and the price alters depending on postcode

I wouldn't like to say tbh but it should of had at least 2 service's

sounds like your out of love with the car. Time to move it on.

WBAC are a business who buy your car and then auction it - not stick it on a forecourt and hope. It’s a turnover model - people who expect private sale or trade in prices are just weird. You don’t have to accept their price. There is an £90 odd admin charge, and they will ding you for stone chips etc... so be prepared to pocket £400 or so less than their offer. I’ve sold two cars to them, and did slightly better than trade in.

But it’s a volume model, they don’t care that it’s an AMG xXX it’s just a chunk of metal.

They will offer 50k for a veyron on a council estate and 700k from a posh area. Quick to prey on people for profit. I’d rather write the car off and claim on the insurance thanks.

Ive mentioned this before i put the wife's cla 200d shooting brake in,1 day old and 6 miles got offered 19k.now thats depreciation 🤣

Ive mentioned this before i put the wife's cla 200d shooting brake in,1 day old and 6 miles got offered 19k.now thats depreciation 🤣
Depends where you started from lol

My 2012 W204 C63 Saloon is without doubt the best car I have ever owned, the noise, the drama.,...it forever puts a smile on my face. I bought it in July 2020 and it currently has 64k miles on the clock in which I have covered almost 4k of them. Soon after I bought it, I noticed that the gear changes at lower speeds were a tad lumpy. The car pulling away at medium throttle feels a little rough and this is more noticeable when the car is upto temperature. Floor the car and push it hard and that roughness goes and it pulls like a train through the gears. In September 2020 it went into Mercedes Warrington and had £2500's worth of work carried out fixing various oiul leaks from under the engine and it had an ATF change. No more leaks and the engine is as clean as a whistle. The car doesnt use any oil or water and no funny noises at all on start up....

In December 2020, I was still unhappy with the 'jerkiness' of the gearbox at lower speeds and the roughness of it especially when warm. It went back into Mercedes and it had the gearbox recalibrated (whatever that means). I thought this had solved it as the car felt much much nicer to drive and smoother. However, in the past week or so the jerkiness and lumpiness of the gear changes has come back again.

In addition to this, when pulling away at junctions or on a slight incline with the wheels turned, its making a rumbling/scraping noise from the rear. Im thinking that maybe brake related (something catching) or could it be the diff? Is this linked to the lumpiness and slight jerkiness at lower speeds? Is it the gearbox at fault? All such questions running around my mind and to be honest its spoiling the experience for me at present. I know these cars are going up in value. Mine is very very clean with Full Mercedes History and I know it would fetch circa £21k if I was to put her up for sale. However, webuyanycar.com have offered £18500.....i know they will knock me down but part of me is like if I get £18k I would probably sell and use the money to get something else....

If only I could find somebody to diagnose the problem for me. Its been on the ramps in two seperate garages and neither could find any issues with it underneath. What you guys do in my opinion? Get shut or spend spend spend on getting an Indy to try and find out what is what?
If you would be prepared to sell for £18k, and you’re confident that it would sell for £21k then you an “afford” to spend £3k without losing out.

You say the car is going up in value and you like it a lot, so if I was in that position then I would get it diagnosed and fixed, and continue to enjoy for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom