Under bonnet cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chic0821

MB Enthusiast
Car
S63 AMG Coupe, Range Rover Sport, 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
As the heading say's what's the best cleaner for under the bonnet. I'm at a loose end just now so have decided to clean the engine bay of Range rover, as the others are very clean. Fair bit of plastic so what are your suggestions for degreasing products. Have used Surfex in the past but open to suggestions. Ta

The Gunk Green one from Halfords is good and works out quite cheap. For aluminium i use Alubright from Raceglaze and do a bit at a time. Then once all rinsed and dried i use ACF50 to protect it all. It's quite viscous so i tend to warm the can in hot water first so you get more of a mist than a spray. For the plastics i'm now a convert to Raceglaze colour restore.

Don't make the mistake i did though on my Alfa and managed to fill some of the spark plug holes with water. I'm really careful now when using water.

ACF50 has now been beaten .
Ooh tell me more! The only thing i don't like about it so much is it's a bit viscous and can leave things a bit shiny. But my Ducati was outside for 5 years under a cover and not a hint of furry fastenings just applying ACF50 annually. It's now garaged but i still give it a dose occasionally. Interested if there's something better though.

Surfex is seriously good , just use that if you have it . Aerospace 303 is pretty good for a final spray over at the end

@ringway (AKA The King of the Engine bay clean) will be here shortly. He has a thread on this very subject. 🥳

I came across a can of ACF50, never been used while searching for my Surfex,of which I had none, that's why I thought about asking for other recommendations. Usually use Gtechniq C4 for plastics, ordered some at the beginning of the week, but will check out Raceglaze. Will try the ACF50, thanks for the tip👍

That link to Cleaning the engine is something else, what a difference to that Jag. After looking at that, my first statement about my other cars being clean, well I take that back, even the Porsche which is nearly new is nothing like that. Looks like they will all be getting done now. Wish I had not asked the question:mad::wallbash:

Last edited:
Found a bottle of meguiars heavy duty multi purpose cleaner I forgot I bought - used it on the engine bay of wife's car which had 11 years of grime and came out pretty well

@ringway (AKA The King of the Engine bay clean) will be here shortly. He has a thread on this very subject. 🥳

Incredible transformation.

I came across a can of ACF50, never been used while searching for my Surfex,of which I had none, that's why I thought about asking for other recommendations. Usually use Gtechniq C4 for plastics, ordered some at the beginning of the week, but will check out Raceglaze. Will try the ACF50, thanks for the tip👍

That link to Cleaning the engine is something else, what a difference to that Jag. After looking at that, my first statement about my other cars being clean, well I take that back, even the Porsche which is nearly new is nothing like that. Looks like they will all be getting done now. Wish I had not asked the question:mad::wallbash:
This is mine after a dose of ACF50 and a wipe with Colour Restore. Not an MB of course but my E250 is just a sea of plastic!
DDF502E8-558A-43DA-A0CD-A15FB06ACC24.jpeg

That is a seriously nice Alfa, what an impressive looking engine, its doing 200mph just sitting still. Terrific cleaning job. I had the Bertone styled 2000 GTV back in the 70's. Fabulous styling brilliant car. Will reserve judgment about posting pics of my cleaning job (been side tracked on to something else by swmbo just now) now that I have seen what can be achieved. The bar has been raised by you lads. Right, back to her F### gardening job,:mad: then on to the real men's stuff:rolleyes:

That is a seriously nice Alfa, what an impressive looking engine, its doing 200mph just sitting still. Terrific cleaning job. I had the Bertone styled 2000 GTV back in the 70's. Fabulous styling brilliant car. Will reserve judgment about posting pics of my cleaning job (been side tracked on to something else by swmbo just now) now that I have seen what can be achieved. The bar has been raised by you lads. Right, back to her F### gardening job,:mad: then on to the real men's stuff:rolleyes:
Ah a Bertone GTV has always been my dream car. Fetching serious money now. Don't look here whatever you do: You'll end up selling the house

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom