Under Bonnet Sound Proofing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300CE

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 300CE
Howdo all! My 300CE underbonnet soundproofing has become manky & is crumbling away. I'm going to clean it all off, however, is it worth replacing myself or getting a company to do it - apparantly it's a bit of a pain to do?

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has done this job themselves or if anyone can recommend a company in SE London/Kent that are reasonable?

Cheers, Justin.

Hi, I did it on my 89 300TE - easy job with help of wife (she is fantastic!!)
Get the original part from MB. Use a high temperature silicone type adhesive - the sort that fits into one of those guns (use a metal one not plastic as you don't want it breaking half way through this job!)
With the bonnet open put a sheet over the engine bay and pull off the manky offending item (messy). Clean off bonnet underside with soft plastic scraper - doesn't have to be perfect as the glue type suggested will adhere like **** to a blanket! Just make sure all the loose stuff is gone and wipe over it with your hand. Discard the mess and hoover both the underside of the bonnet and your engine bay. Don't attempt to clean any more than this. Sweep up round the car and make sure your working area is nice and clean. Extend the bonnet fully upright. Wearing softish shoes stand on the suspension turrets - assuming you are not 400st and able :) taking care of yourself and the car. Get wife to hand you the mat. Offer up the new mat and make sure it will fit and no obstacles will be encountered. The metalwork partly holds it in place so not much glue is actually required. Using one tube of adhesive only.... Get wife to hand you the glue - sparingly squirt a horizontal line onto the lower (back) part of the bonnet right across - use a 3-4mm bead. Position the mat. Slowly work upwards applying glue and positioning etc.. until you reach the top. Run your hand over it all as you go to ensure good adhesion and no lumps. Wait a little while (15 mins - longer if possible) keeping a little pressure in the middle of the mat until the glue has partially set. Job done! Mine is nice and new and makes a real difference whenever you open the bonnet. It's also slightly quieter. Expensive (Circa £65 for the whole job) but well worthwhile and peace of mind no crap is falling into the engine. take you r time finding a suitable adhesive from a good local hardware store or ebay - a tube should be about £12. Don't use cheap stuff as the heat could degrade it and cause it to lose its adhesion. Unfortunately I cannot remember which one I used but it's worked a treat (1 year now including hot trips to Southern France)
Pics available if required. Cheers and good luck.

Fantastic post Atlantic - many thanks for the detailed response!! I shall take your advice and get the part from MB, although i'll probably get me pal to help rather than the wife as she won't want to chance breaking a nail :)

If you could post a pic that would be great as i'm sure there will be other members of the forum who are interested too.

Thanks again, Justin.

Good one, the lining on my '88 230TE has just about dissolved, and '93 30TD is going floppy round the edges so this is dead useful stuff
Wasn't sure if it could be done without the bonnet off...
Would a sheet over the engine compartment whilst scraping the old goop off be worthwhile?
I was thinking of using aerosol glue if anything sticky enough is available?

cheers!

Last edited:
Cover engine with dust sheet clean off felt .I normally use inpact glue ( evostick )apply glue to both bonnet and felt.

Here you go.... (after much trouble with posting pictures!!!!) :crazy:

300te003.jpg

300te001.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Atlantic, many thanks for posting the pictures! As soon as i've done mine, I'll update this thread as well with a before & after shot.

Cheers, Justin.

Thanks, glad to be of assistance. When I think back how bad mine was (oily and crumbly - yuk!) this is probably one of the most rewarding jobs I've done on the car to date. Cheers

ps forgot to mention make sure there is no oil present before you glue your new one in place - obvious I know. Also I wouldn't recommend contact adhesive as you won't be able to move it around if you get it wrong - just my opinion....

Hi Gang

I have just joined and wonder if you have any tips for products to bring the creamy / beige leather back to life in my newly bought 1996 320 SL, its not dire, but could do with a bit of tlc here n there, there's a couple of creases with grime in here n there, and I 'd just like to make a general difference, P.S. The under bonnet heat mat post has been a great help already, mines sleeping peacefully on the engine at present, and I have found the following site that supplies (seemingly) suitable materials / adhesive etc...unless you wise Merc Sage's tell me different of course, ;-), and if anyone knows of a sensibly priced mechanic in NW London whom I could get to giver the car the once over etc...I'd be highly grateful too, x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom