Under counter vs tall fridge freezer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Hi there

Another one of my 'thinking out loud' posts - feel free to ignore :D

I'm in the process of creating an open plan kitchen diner and am failing to find a suitable position for our tall fridgefreezer.

Other than electricity usage and having to bend down a little, what's the opinion of having a seperate fridge and freezer next to each other under the counter ?

I thought they would be quite nice in the breakfast bar/room divider.

Chris

I decided to install an undercounter fridge to give a completely clear run of kitchen top (a rather splendid granite) all the way round the kitchen. It is a bit small and you have to bend down a lot, but it is not a huge limiting factor for me on my own (although I do eat a little more than I should). For a family, it might be an issue.

^ I'm thinking this, as we will have a pseudo galley kitchen the work top will just stop and there will be a tall fridge.

To adapt Parkinson's First Law to kitchens, gadgets multiply to fill available worktop space. Get proper fridge space to start with, there will be plenty of things (Juicer, spice grinder, toaster, microwave, coffee machine, free standing tin opener, mixer, food processor, ice-cream maker, cappucino frother, breadmaker, deep fat fryer etc) that will fill the top space before you even get to prep space.

Plan your kitchen so as not to have a microwave sitting on the work top.

I'm 6'4", so an under the worktop fridge aint happening here.

Besides which, our freezer is underneath and this would have to live elsewhere meaning we would gain worktop space and lose cupboard space.

Are you threatening us with your height ?

My microwave is still hanging in mid air (thankfully) and I am used to it now - so this will probably stay where it is.

Gadgets is a good point.

Told SWMBO that we have no worktops and just a microwave and have been ok for two months, so why does she want a kitchen ?

I just got 'the look' :)

Make space for an american style fridge freezer - great to have cold water & ice on tap.
Not very practical though so we run a seperate fridge freezer in the utility room for extra freezer capacity and cold storage of wine & beer:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom