Under (tyre) pressure. Dealer very naughty.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
Checked my tyre pressures last night having decided the ride was getting worse recently (left it a week as often think it is my brain playing tricks on me).

Front L - 39psi
Front R - 42psi
Rear L - 44psi
Rear R - 32psi

Shocking enough, but it was the MB Chelsea who did this - I asked them to check the tyre pressures for me when I had some warranty work done a few weeks ago. They told me they had but I think it a lie! :eek::eek::eek:

Set them all to 32psi. (should I make it 34?)

R

Checked my tyre pressures last night having decided the ride was getting worse recently (left it a week as often think it is my brain playing tricks on me).

Front L - 39psi
Front R - 42psi
Rear L - 44psi
Rear R - 32psi

Shocking enough, but it was the MB Chelsea who did this - I asked them to check the tyre pressures for me when I had some warranty work done a few weeks ago. They told me they had but I think it a lie! :eek::eek::eek:

Set them all to 32psi. (should I make it 34?)

R

First of all, make sure whatever you are using to check the tyre pressures is accurate.

Personally I never use petrol station guages cause they are usually way off.

One of the handiest gadgets I've bought is the Mitchelin tyre inflator which as a guage and plugs into the cigarette lighter and pumps the tyres to the required pressure :

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/218223/mini_compressor_test.html

"Set them all to 32psi. (should I make it 34?)"

What does it say on the filler flap and in the handbook? I wouldn't depart from manufacturer figures with such a safety-critical component.

Speaking of tyres, on Wednesday I saw a US SUV (in Luton) on -- wait for it . . . 305x30x26 Hankooks. They looked absolutely ridiculous, the ridicule only enhanced by the thin-spoke wheels. What the ride is like I can't begin to imagine. Still, I shall chuckle every time I recall the sight.

Did you test the pressures after you drove home?
Ideally they need to be tested when cold. Even after a few hours I've found pressures to be 2psi higher than when cold.

I'm not sure what pressure your tyres need, but what type of journeys do you do? How much is the car loaded?

Did they have the wheels off? Looks like they mixed fronts and rears!

I often wonder if there is too much emphasis placed on tyre pressure. The car manufacture states a recommended tyre pressure which we all use, but surely not all tyres are the same. I will own up, I check my tyre pressures when the tyre look as though they are a bit flat. Decided for the sake of this thread to check them, probably the first time since its December service, all four tyres at 32/33psi, sorry I lie, had two new rear tyres fitted just before the MoT last month. I usually get around 25 to 30k miles from my tyres.

Checked a few days later with hand held and all at 32 still. Just find it very bad a dealer would have them out of kilter to such an extent.....

Very disappointing indeed, but sadly in keeping with the general poor reputation of main dealers.

305x30x26 Hankooks

that is a serious tyre! Mine are a fairly large 22" but honestly do not look out of place!!! promise!

32psi is manufaturers rec, unladen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom