Underbody hanging off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muthanos

Car
C180 Kompressor W204
Does anyone have any idea what this part that's hanging off?

I have a c180 kompressor w204.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 10.53.01.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 10.53.01.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 29
Looks like an insulation panel to me. Can't tell from your piccie whether it's supposed to be secured with that nut and bolt you can see.

Looks like part of an exhaust heat shield- they are usually alloy and secured by steel bolts leading to galvanic corrosion- can often be re-secured by use of a larger washer or plate to cover the enlarged hole in the heat shield before replacing the nut on the threaded stud

Just the heat shield, they rot all the time as @grober has explained.

The nut will likely be siezed solid onto the bolt head.
Get this off without shearing the bolt head (cut if needed).
Get a new nut and some penny washers for a "temp." (insert time frame here) fix.

EDIT

Looks like part of an exhaust heat shield- they are usually alloy and secured by steel bolts leading to galvanic corrosion- can often be re-secured by use of a larger washer or plate to cover the enlarged hole in the heat shield before replacing the nut on the threaded stud
Thank you for that, sorry I'm new here and I didn't realise I got a response on this so quick. You've suggested a larger washer or a plate to cover, what do you mean by plate?

Thank you for that, sorry I'm new here and I didn't realise I got a response on this so quick. You've suggested a larger washer or a plate to cover, what do you mean by plate?
If the shield hole is large it may be difficult to find a washer of big enough diameter to hold the shield in place--- by plate I mean a thin bit of metal plate with a hole bored thro it to act as a large " washer"

They rot through all the time and depending on how fussy you are you could buy a new one or 'patch' the one yo have with 'penny' repair washers. I have done it numerous times i also sometimes use a rubber washer from a plumbing kit betwen the washer and the paper thin heat shield.

As mentioned the biggest part of the job is getting the nut off the stud without snapping the stud off the car body.

This type of thing avaiable at all DIY stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom