Underbody rust W210 , 2001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maddog

I noticed a few spots of rust under my car last time i had the tyres changed so thought i would investigate

I removed the cover and checked the crossmember while i was there but no serious rust as yet

You can clearly see the problem is caused by poor paint and undersealing , where the car is properly undersealed there is NO rust

The temporary fix has been to clean the surface rust off and treat with rust killer and then paint over with hammerite smoothrite

In a couple of months i'll recheck and attend to any further areas and underseal the rest properly

Not good for a £40k car with less than 60,000 miles on the clock , its rusted like a 1970's Alfa

P1000265.jpg

This chassis rail is a structual item and would be an mot failure if corrosion was allowed to continue

P1000264-1.jpg

P1000261.jpg

I would have dosed the whole underside with Waxoil when you are done.

Its a combination of lousy cheap metal (wrong grade) and not so much the paint as the same paint is used on other cars without them getting rusty.

The marks in the metal of the pics that I put up showed that it was rusty metal from the start

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=47827

Hi

Your last pic is just behind the battery tray, see my pic here of what i did to the same area on mine.
carpics077.jpg

Also your second pic here is the same area on mine prior to waxoyling
carpics046.jpg

And after cleaning and waxoyling
carpics081.jpg

If your gonna keep her i suggest removing all the wheelarch liners give her a real good wire brush and coat her with 5 litres of Waxoyl or similar.

Dont like Waxoyl i think i'll use a stone chip protector and then a underseal , like i did on my Nissan last year (which is a 1993 and has NO rust!!)

Remember that underseal can come lose and trap water between it and the metal

Dont like Waxoyl i think i'll use a stone chip protector and then a underseal , like i did on my Nissan last year (which is a 1993 and has NO rust!!)
I go along with Television, you are actually covering over any problems and I think it better to see the problem rather than have a nice piece of rubberised paint holding the car together.

Clean the metal, treat the rust and then use a nice preventive product.

Regards
John

I use Hammerite Rust Paint on such areas, very good stuff if used correctly
The very stuff I used on the ground hugging skirts of our T55AMG. It has taken lots of stick and is extremely durable. Not a trace of any chipping, nor any rust breaking through. We ground out all the rust and then treated the shiny metal with a rust inhibitor before sploshing on the hammerite.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom