Underside engine cover/plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

william silver

Car
E320 Estate 1994
Can anyone tell me if my E320 Estate 1994 should have an under-engine cover or plate between the chassis members. My brother-in-law has a cover underneath his 1993 300 TD.
And where I might get one if necessary.........
Thanks.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Last edited:
engine fairing

Most petrol mercs of that vintage had a plastic engine undershield fairing of varying length held on by 6 self tapping type screws/washers. Helps the aerodynamics and stops water splashing over your pristine engine!! I believe the diesels had a much more comprehensive shielding in the engine compartment to suppress noise so you cant compare the 2 directly. They do tend to deteriorate with age /oil deposits/ undertray "incidents" and are sometimes missing. Your friendly local dealer should be able to supply a replacement plus the screws/washers to suit.

You can get a metal shield for the under-engine area as well! I can look up parts if required, costs about £150 but might save your engine if you badly hit a speedbump or a rock or whatever.

EDIT: "i before e, except after c."

Last edited:
Thanks v much for the replies. Dear Shude - a part no. would be great. Thank you!

william silver said:
Thanks v much for the replies. Dear Shude - a part no. would be great. Thank you!
The metal one is quite a serious piece of equipment! Metal undershield with bracket and mountings and rubber washers etc.

Here are the *suspected* part numbers:

005: A1245203142 : OIL PAN UNDERSHIELD : EUR 161.89
008: A1249870740 : RUBBER BUFFER : EUR 1.01 (x2)
023: N304017008021 : SCREW : EUR .39 (x4)
026: A2019900991 : NUT RETAINER : EUR 1.59 (x2)
029: N913004008001 : nut (x2)
032: A1164660882 : RING,FUEL LINE,VLRUB : EUR 1.52
035: A2015054186 : RUBBER STRIP : EUR 5.89 (x2)

You should check with your stealership parts dept before ordering anything because these undershields can be tailored for a specific engine or layout - would need to confirm with the VIN etc to know for definite although I did filter the parts by 1992+ W124 320 petrol/estate.

Attachments

• 124undershields.jpg
    124undershields.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 111
There seems to be a bit of confusion about what type of under engine cover you want. What Shude is suggesting I think is what I would call a "sump guard" which you might use if you were driving on very rough roads with rutted tracks and rocks. Maybe speed bumps etc do qualify?? If you mean the under engine fairing for aerodynamics or the sound encapsulating panel for diesels then these would a lot cheaper I think. Maybe best to have a good look at your brother in laws one first. Should be easy to see the difference and maybe get a part no you could check with the dealer on its description. I dont think the sump guard type would be a standard fitment except in some export markets, but possibly a factory option or dealer fitted accessory.The other 2 were definitely standard equipment ex factory. In the aerodynamic plastic type the sump protrudes a little through a hole in the shield to maintain sump oil cooling which you might loose with the "sump guard "type and need to fit a separate oil cooler. I dont know never having seen one!!. In the end it depends why you want one. Better aerodynamics, sound deadening or sump protection??

Thought it might be a good idea to steam clean the engine and enginer compartment and then put a dirt protecting cover on! £150 a bit much for this - info on cheap genuine man-made plastic would be good.

DO NOT STEAM CLEAN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way too many electronic components/sensors/wiring/relays in there to short circuit. I have read many tales of woe of strange EXPENSIVE faults developing after steam cleaning which is merely a cosmetic exercise. You might get away with it but its not worth the risk IMHO. I dont anticipate the standard MB plastic fairing+screws would be too costly from your local MB DEALER .

The undersheilds I posted are a direct replacement for the cheapo plastic effort and will last a lot longer, the one on my previous car was shredded!

I had to get one for my C180 because it didnt come with one, it cost £26 from the dealer. The one on my C250TD is quite different, it has a rubber spoiler on the front edge and some vented grilles, it also has a shield under the gearbox too.

Grober - you're exactly right. Thanks for the caution. Thank you all. I'm off to the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom