underside view of a w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supercharger

Car
s500,380sel,e230,230ce,300te
may sound a strange request but im looking for some pics of the underside of a w124 cabriolet. i have a project about to commense on a w124 300te. the plan is to convert to a pick up so will obviously need some strength. the under side of a cabriolet has two steel strengthening bars running from n/s/f to o/s/r and o/s/f to n/s/r so i plan to do the same to the 300te which should be a good start. so if anyone knows of a site that has a pic on i would be grateful.

supercharger

thanks for that, i dont see the 2 pieces i was refering to though or is it me.

supercharger

Maybe 20 and 23 here? http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.413&CT=F&cat=15T&SID=61&SGR=015&SGN=01

I understand what you are describing, but I don't think they would have the room to fit a true cruciform type of bracing as you describe. I don't know but I would guess at some form of triangulated bracing maybe involving the transmission tunnel. Hopefully someone with a cabriolet/ camera/ ramp will post a picture soon. Remember the rear end would be considerably strengthened against suspension jacking forces by the rear anti-roll bar mounting frame also

thanks for that i see the pieces. they do however have the cruciform pieces i looked under one last summer when i first had the idea and it is there. as you say someone may be along that owns one.

Is this man related to Ian Walker? :bannana:

(supercharger: if you read the forum, my tease to Ian will make sense. Watch him offer to drop a V12 in there! :eek: :crazy: )

Found this pic doesn't look too bad if you like that sort of thing! Mercedes definitely considered one based on the previous ML which almost made production. I will see if I can find a picture.

Some more pics here http://jalopnik.com/search/benzamino/

Last edited:
Last edited:
Interesting project. Are you going to have the flat bed at the back go as far forward as the front doors or are you going for the rear door option. Rear door option will not give you that much room to be honest. Front door option is going to cause you problems insofar as panel work. What engine are you anticipating (only asking coz a 320 or 300 would be sooooo much fun :D) Strengthening under the back end is a must. Two angled pieces at the front ala cabriolet will work. Self levelling or standard suspension? Oh so many questions, so little time :D

Steve (Gollom) don't go putting ideas into my tired head

yes thats my plan to checkerplate the back out and some nice chrome bars will look the business and will be different. the base car is a w124 300te it has aircon both front seats are electric so a nice spec to start from
it,ll be a laugh if nothing else some big chrome alloys on it and a nice blue or black finish.

i will take pics along the way

supercharger

you were writning the same time as me then ian.

im going to go as far forward as half the rear doors if that makes sense then come down at an angle. obviously weld the rear doors up then run some supports from the b pillar right through to the rear light cluster area. will do the cabrio option as you say underneath ive had the car a while bought it for the number plate for the missus but it runs really sweet and a nice spec for an early w124 its an 87 model and is rust free spent years in spain.
any advice will be appreciated.

supercharger

Call me at work tomorrow as I have a few ideas you may find uesful.
01772 681210

Is this man related to Ian Walker? :bannana:
quote]

LOL!

"There's ony one Ian Walker, one Ian Walker, there's only one Ian Walker!" :bannana:

And.....he has a very important project to embark on soon! :devil: :rolleyes: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom