undertray just went kaboom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lancebond

Car
S203 C220 CDI
whilst driving tonight on a dark road i went through a puddle that evidently was a lake... at 40mph.

the undertray (is that what it's called?) of the car was ripped off and smashed... and before i could warn anyone was ran over and further smashed by the car behind me.

now the question is, about the replacement, it's a s203 (c-class estate) so would it require the same one as the w203? part number A2035201523 i believe.

and more importantly in the next couple of days that i need to wait for the new part, can i still drive the car?

Thanks

i might add, that it's all the way along the car it's gone... apart from a small piece that refused to go... and just sits hanging

Won't cause any problems driving it as it is just a shield,same part for saloon or estate.

You can still drive it no problem, it's an aerodynamic under-tray.

108676_12lo.jpg

108676_16lo.jpg

h
108676_17lo.jpg

The front part of mine went AWOL somewhere on the M1 at...Umm...high speed.

so it's not urgent that it's replaced then.

there was more of a tray on it than those pics showed though... the bit hanging off at the back is under the rear driverside door.

so it's not urgent that it's replaced then.

there was more of a tray on it than those pics showed though... the bit hanging off at the back is under the rear driverside door.

Yours is a diesel so gets full encapsulation under the gearbox as well.

the greater the encapsulation shield, the better the aerodynamics, but on high powered petrol cars there is a greater need to let heat escape and under-shields do cost money.
We do seem to forget that car manufacturers would squeeze a fart if there was a saving to be made on each car.

thanks for the help, i went from thinking this was going to be a costly job that needed to be done asap, to laughing about the tightness of car makers.

I would trawl the scrap yards for a replacement. I have a feeling the new price of those will be silly.

Wherabouts in Newcastle? Plenty of flooding round these parts today!

We lost the under tray from Mrs BTB's Audi A4 estate 6 years ago and never replaced it. Suspect it would be a lot more than £38.

My s124 front undertray in the middle of nowhere on the road from moscow to the latvian border. I had to stop at the side of the road and remove it fully. Luckily the fixings were still embedded in the under tray and a few km down the road I "rented" a garage's inspection pit for around £4 in order to bash the fixings into shape and re-attach them. The tray is still there in place 3 months later. I think the tray was partly dislodged when the car went swimming with barry sorrel in vladimir! I suspect you would need to order the fixings as well as the trays - it wouldn't surprise me if they had a different part number for them.

I think the tray was partly dislodged when the car went swimming with barry sorrel in vladimir!

Talking of which, is the Ruski GTG on this year?

I wish I had known Russian while on holiday this year...;)

Scrap Yard it is then!

Must be loads smashed up to get one off

Think twice before replacing it.

This came on my MOT advisory today... lol.

"Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components."

Yours is a diesel so gets full encapsulation under the gearbox as well.

the greater the encapsulation shield, the better the aerodynamics, but on high powered petrol cars there is a greater need to let heat escape and under-shields do cost money.
We do seem to forget that car manufacturers would squeeze a fart if there was a saving to be made on each car.

Yes , my W124 has a steel undertray / sump guard ( part of the Indian spec ) under the engine , and a plastic undertray below the gearbox .

My petrol cars which have had undertrays ( not all have , only later models were fitted with them ) have only had them under the engine .

One benefit is that they do help keep the engine bay cleaner .

Think twice before replacing it.

This came on my MOT advisory today... lol.

"Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components."

I got a few on my S-Max this year including "seats unavailable" because the rear row was folded down. Means nothing in reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom