Underwhelmed with Becker Satnav?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr4z

Car
C350 CDI Sport Saloon 2011
Anyone else slightly underwhelmed with the Becker Satnav? I went to Birmingham airport last week and when you drive up to a complicated junction its a mess. Very confusing trying to work out where you should go. In fact so bad I just went to reading the road signs :)

TMC doesn't seem to have much on it either.

My Tomtom on the iPhone is much much better along with traffic HD.

Thoughts?

Had it in a loan car. Prefer Comand IMHO

I find it gets me where I need to be, which ultimately is all I want a Sat nav to do.

The thing is, we all compare these products to Tom Tom, which works so well for such a reasonable price, you wonder why these manufacturers continue to persevere with inferior systems (COMAND included).

Why not just repackage or licence Tom Tom to fit - it would be so much easier.

It's not as good as Comand though, you're right, but you'd be pretty fed up if you paid £2000 + for comand and a £300 (bought mine new on eBay) plug in sat nav does just as good a job.

I find it gets me where I need to be, which ultimately is all I want a Sat nav to do.

The thing is, we all compare these products to Tom Tom, which works so well for such a reasonable price, you wonder why these manufacturers continue to persevere with inferior systems (COMAND included).

Why not just repackage or licence Tom Tom to fit - it would be so much easier.

It's not as good as Comand though, you're right, but you'd be pretty fed up if you paid £2000 + for comand and a £300 (bought mine new on eBay) plug in sat nav does just as good a job.

You mean like this....

Carminat TomTom ® Satellite Navigation - Satellite Navigation - Multimedia - Accessories & Merchandise - Owner Services - Renault UK

Yup just like that. It seems so obvious, but Mercedes still charge too much for systems that are just not good enough.

I passed a 61 plate E350cdi sport coupe yesterday, it had a Tom Tom stuck to the windscreen.

That says it all, that would be an edition125 with APS 50 and still a Tom Tom is better.

Really Mercedes, pull your socks up.

I passed a 61 plate E350cdi sport coupe yesterday, it had a Tom Tom stuck to the windscreen.

If you'd have passed me, you would have seen a Garmin on my windscreen :). Comand is a nice toy to play with (especially Linguatronic), but I don't rate the directions it gives me...!

I rate the Comand extremely highly! Best system I have used, intuitive and great instructions! Haven't tried the Becker but at less than a fifth of the price it shouldn't be better than Comand but better or more integrated than a TomTom.

If you'd have passed me, you would have seen a Garmin on my windscreen :). Comand is a nice toy to play with (especially Linguatronic), but I don't rate the directions it gives me...!

Hear-hear! I've tried a few different ones, and Garmin is a clear winner for me. Whether that for navigating expediently out of Nassau 'undesirable' areas or finding your way around Miami, or getting from Northampton to Olly at PCS :thumb: - Garmin interface is intuitive, accurate and not overloaded with useless info and gimmicks. An addition of ecoRoute (plugs into your OBDII) is brilliant - I get all the info from car computer on the screen, if I need to, and it's keeping an eye on mpgs and my driving style :cool: My only complaint is that when I tried to change voice control activation command to "Listen Up You Pancake Mixture!" it wouldn't - too long :wallbash: ... had to settle for "Son of a Mongoose!" :bannana:

...and I am close to strangling that bl**dy woman who keeps asking me: Are you sure you want to cancel route guidance?"
OF COURSE I'M SURE, why else would I deliberately press a button and say: Cancel Route Guidance...:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

It's not just the directions and confusion at junctions, it's the settings and features which are lacking. My £42 iPhone Tomtom software with £20 pa for traffic is far superior. It just makes sense for the manufacturers simply to license Garmin or Tomtom technology. Surely this would save them and us the consumer a small fortune?

If it wasn't thrown in as part of my lease I would be looking at returning it.

I am now looking at a Brodit mount for my iPhone. Only problem is the power cable is in view. I like things nice and neat :)

Yup, having now re read this thread I'm not overly impressed with it either, it's bonus is the integration, if it wasn't for that it would have been back on eBay again.

Its also a shame that the new MB doesn't have another power source apart from the cigarette lighter point in the ashtray. My old BMW had another in the centre armrest - specifically for powering gadgets. I don't want the ashtray open just to power my phone!

Does the USB socket in the console provide power? If so, that can charge your phone, whilst also keeping it safely tucked away.

I will give it a try on the way home today.

My Tomtom on the iPhone is much much better along with traffic HD.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't pay for an inbuilt system in any car now.

I use my Nokia. Works in my car and works in hire cars and works on foot.

I just want manufacturers to provide a decent industry standard pop up (out?) phone mount near on the dash.

The USB port in the center console provides power. I plugged in my phone on the way home, and it charged no problem. It also charged without the ignition on, so handy if you have something that needs to charge.

Yeah I just tried it myself. Pity it doesn't play music from iPhone through the stereo via USB cable.

The USB port in the center console provides power. I plugged in my phone on the way home, and it charged no problem. It also charged without the ignition on, so handy if you have something that needs to charge.
doesn't charge my blackberry
Oh and the Becker seems OK to me.

Command Satnav on E350CDi

What a waste of money. Graphics poor and unbelievably you cannot enter satellite coordinates - on a SATNAV??!! We also own a Land Rover Discovery and the satnav is vastly superior. I also share the view about the irritating woman who asks if I am sure I want to cancel guidance - of COURSE I do, that's why I hit that button!

The units sell for decent money on Ebay (~£250). There's always the option of replacing it with a TomTom/Garmin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom