uneven tyre wear

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by steve333, Oct 30, 2011.

1. steve333

steve333 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes CLS350cdi grand edition in palladium silver
    Hi,on checking my rear tyres i noticed they are both wearing more on the outside(the 1st 3 inches closest to the alloys)they are 285/30 pirelli p-zeros on 19's,they had 7mm on them 6,000 miles ago when i bought the car(cls500) last october & i knew the rears from new are only good for about 8,000 miles on these cars just wondered if the way they have worn is normal?

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    That depends on your driving style. Lots of high speed roundabouts and corners will wear the outsides more, but it sounds like you have either a camber or tracking problem on the rear geometry.

3. OP
    OP
    steve333

Car:
    Is tracking related to the drive wheels only or all 4 as i don't drive much over high speed roundabouts or take corners at above normal cornering speeds,hope the geometry isn't the problem as the cars only done 25k miles?

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    On a multi-link setup the rear wheel s have a tracking setting (toe in) as well as the front wheels.
    It's possible your car has too much rear toe-in. which makes for nice, safe understeer and general stability, but wears the tyres more. The wider the tyre the quicker the wear will be, same for a camber issue.

Take it to a decent 4 wheel alignment centre to have it checked and set.

5. OP
    OP
    steve333

Car:
    Thanks for the info DM,i have staggered 19" AMG'S(235 front,285 rears)will get the toe in checked when i replace the rear tyres next weekend.

6. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Apologies for jumping in on your thread steve but I have just swapped to my winter wheels (hence the balmy 18c we're experiencing!!) I have noted uneven tyre wear on the summer set-up but only on the inside edge of the osf wheel.

Geometry was set-up by WiM back in April when I had my coil-overs fitted. All other tyres show even wear, nsf has very slight feathering to the inner edge

Any suggestions, learned colleagues, as to why this is happening?

7. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Camber is out. It has to be if only one wheel is affected.

8. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Mmmm.. Printout shows values are green. Will take a trip back to WiM for a check-up

9. Usuf_x

Usuf_x Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E240 Avantagarde Estate
    Sorry to jump in also but can I ask if it is the same for the rears wheels also. As I have just changed my rear tyres and notices the same scenario that it is worn out on the inside on on wheel but the other wheel has an even wear?

Tags: