Unexplained loss of power. 2015 E350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhysC63?

Car
E350 2015 9g AMG Prem Plus, previously C63
Hello all,

I've had this rather weird thing happen to my car twice now. I've covered around 2K miles and everything seems fine with the car except for two incidents when there was a sudden loss of power. It feels like the throttle is being severely restricted, leading to very slow acceleration, but no other apparent signs of anything being wrong, there are no bells, whistles, lights, messages and the engine sounds perfectly happy with no signs of missfire or any mechanical issuse. The issue was resolved both times by turning off the ignition and starting the car up again.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I will of course take the car in to MB as soon as I can, but I'd be interested to see if this is a common problem.

Yes, I had the exact same problem about 20 months ago when I'd bought an approved used S350CDI with 40,000 miles on the clock.

It happened 3 times within the first 2 weeks of ownership, so I rejected it. The third time was after the dealer had assured me they'd fixed it for the second time, but I insisted their service manager came with me on a test run, and it duly failed again.

No warning lights, just performance akin to limp mode.

They had thought it was the EGR valve, but other possibilities discussed were lack of turbo or some sort of ECU conflict between the engine and gearbox.

As yours, it always cured itself simply by stopping and starting. My money would be on the ECU option since to me it was as if the gearbox was somehow restricting the performance. However I guess that is what happens in limp mode.

They never managed to explain why there were no warning lights nor error codes to be diagnosed.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. It's a bit worrying in a way if they won't be able to diagnose it. Both times it happened to me could have caused an accident as I was overtaking during one incident and pulling out from a sliproad to fast moving traffic the second time it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom