Unhappy experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad your son got the care he needed in the end. It's a shame A&E were well below par for him. Very glad it wasn't any more serious than it was.

I hope you're able to claim back the BUPA costs (if any) from the driver, along with however much a replacement bike costs. Totally unacceptible behaviour - hope the Police throw the book at her. I do wonder if she panicked and her "fight or flight" instinct went to "flight"... (still no excuse though!)

So despite the hospital being understaffed to the point of not being able to treat your son, someone there had enough time on their hands to sell his details? :crazy:

This should be illegal.

My brother was telling me last night that he saw a program, think it may have been panorama, that it is the insurance company that sell the details of these incidents on to the Ambulance chasers (as they are referred to in the states).

Watched Panorama the other night about all the referral fees and kick backs. It stinks.

And two of the hospitals I know both in Surrey ARE crap and Id rather walk on past dying with my last breath than go in either of them. One is Guildford which I was admitted to, given a valium and made to lie still for 3 hrs. Then they called me a cab and watched me crawl up the corridor in agony because I couldnt stand never mind walk. But I was getting out of there one way or another.

Frimley - my mum went in with a stroke at 9.00am No consultants ! (first day of the world cup, and probably hotest day of the year)
They booked her for a scan at 2.00pm, (5hrs too F'ing late) also claimed she was allergic to asprin??? she isnt, and left her laying propped up. And it went on for months with so much other stuff no one would believe.
They should ban programs like Holby as make believe. Its more like Eastenders.

People / patients are just fodder.

I hope your son makes a full recovery and suffers no long term problems.

I also hope the driver gets what she deserves as in reality your son probably was lucky and could have been killed.

I think the NHS experience varies around the coutnry and within each hospital.

Sorry to hear about your son's accident. Wouldn't surprise me if the driver may have had a drink too many.......so fled. Hope she gets all that is coming to her. Or as Howard would say -- bad Karma.

please bear in mind that it's not just the individual hospital, or department to blame, the ultimate responsibility for the treatment comes down to the individual practitioner (nurse or Doctor) who is looking after your son.

Having done many years as an a and e nurse practitioner, throughout the UK i've seen good departments and bad departments, but the end product lies in the skill and dilegence of the practitioner.

just my thoughts.

Also glad that your son is on the mend.. A&E is often a lottery.

A couple of years ago our daughter woke up in the middle of the night coughing and wheezing. NHS direct decided an ambulance was in order. Spent a worrying hour and a half in Casualty, but they were great and could not fault them other than it took time for things to happen. Daughter was fine, and now loves Casualty...

Contrasted with a trip about a month ago after NHS direct again decided this time my partner need to see a doctor at 5.30 on a Sunday evening. Spent 4 hours in A&E. Took hours for a blood test. She eventually came away with a prescription for a blood clotting (I think) drug. Pity that the chemists had all closed.

Joined up thinking that is....
NHS Direct love to call ambulances and direct people to A&E, sometimes unnecessarily.

As far as the drugs for your Wife, if the hospital Dr had thought them urgent they would have been dispensed from the hospital pharmacy.

So despite the hospital being understaffed to the point of not being able to treat your son, someone there had enough time on their hands to sell his details? :crazy:

This should be illegal.

It already is and hospital security take personal data theft very seriously, launching an immediate inquiry and suspension of suspected staff.

And two of the hospitals I know both in Surrey ARE crap and Id rather walk on past dying with my last breath than go in either of them. One is Guildford which I was admitted to, given a valium and made to lie still for 3 hrs. Then they called me a cab and watched me crawl up the corridor in agony because I couldnt stand never mind walk. But I was getting out of there one way or another.

They obviously knew you weren't going out in a box... ;)

Your experience directly contradicts my last two visits to a busy A&E Dept. On both occasions I queue jumped and was given immediate attention over an extended time frame, then admitted to high dependency wards for further treatment.

Too many people go to A&E for minor issues and expect rapid treatment.

Last edited:

This should be illegal.

I think you'll find it's the insurance companies that love to sell details of incident victims...

Hypocrites, the lot of them.

I hope your lad recovers well Satch.

NHS Direct love to call ambulances and direct people to A&E, sometimes unnecessarily.

As far as the drugs for your Wife, if the hospital Dr had thought them urgent they would have been dispensed from the hospital pharmacy.

I'm not sure they were aware of the fact that the local pharmacies were closed. The front desk were not for certain, and did not bother to report back to the doctor.

She was so fed up that after the doctors advice she preferred to risk it...

Recently we have been sent home to get medication, as it was claimed that the hospital pharmacy was closed.

lucifer-v12: you have at least two words in your vocabulary then

I think you'll find it's the insurance companies that love to sell details of incident victims...

...and the Police.

They obviously knew you weren't going out in a box... ;)

Your experience directly contradicts my last two visits to a busy A&E Dept. On both occasions I queue jumped and was given immediate attention over an extended time frame, then admitted to high dependency wards for further treatment.

Too many people go to A&E for minor issues and expect rapid treatment.

Was it a heart problem per chance. They are always popular and quickly looked at. Well for me, I was run over by a horse trailer. And my mum had a bad stroke, meaning she now can only utter a few words, paralysed one side and needed surgery to clear a blocked cortid artery.

If not the A&E then who?

Was it a heart problem per chance. They are always popular and quickly looked at. Well for me, I was run over by a horse trailer. And my mum had a bad stroke, meaning she now can only utter a few words, paralysed one side and needed surgery to clear a blocked cortid artery.

If not the A&E then who?

Heart problems aren't always popular... I spent a night in A&E on Wednesday...

Mom suffers from extreme blood pressure (>200/100 at times), and is on multiple tablets. She was cold and clammy on Tuesday... we were halfway to the hospital by the time she had chest cramps.

Don't feel like retyping everything... long story short, after being given a 10-minute ECG laminated sign it was almost an hour before the ECG machine was found and the test administered. (Not kidding... they actually lost the one ECG machine they had... apparently someone had carted it into a side room and left it behind a curtain... there also was an elderly couple waiting for it after we got there)

I can't fault the doctor/nurses, who was extremely helpful. I don't know where the problem is. From experience, either the system is grossly understaffed or there are way too many administrators and paperwork to fill out. It always seems that for every nurse/doctor attending to a patient there are 3 people filling out paperwork around...

M.

Last edited:
Glad he's on the mend..having myself had cracked ribs, broken collar bone and dislocated shoulder all at different times, I cannot imagine what they would be like at the same time, it would be agony.

Whilst the way/method in which it is achieved is questionable, this is an example of where compensation is wholly appropriate...it will hurt for ages, probably wont be in a great hurry to get back on his bike etc etc.

As for A&E, had enough experience myself and by and large it seems better, but, given the current cost cutting measures, I can see the 'quality' is only going to go one way.

Was it a heart problem per chance. They are always popular and quickly looked at.

No. First time was complications after an operation, but literally collapsed on arrival, looked like a stroke, next was blocked kidney, but I thought it was my bad back so had been putting up with it until...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom