Unidentified ticking noise - E500 Cab?

Should mercedes identify a braking and steering ticking noise?..E500 Cab 2012 model

• Yes they should, they manufactured it and it has warranty

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • No you bought it so deal with it yourself elsewhere

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn't like to say either way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emailme1042

Hi everyone, I'm new to this so please be patient and bear with me. I have a E500 cab 2012 that I purchased 8 months ago and upon test drive I noticed a ticking noise when braking and the sales person said it was down to dynamic braking, the cars lumbar controls did not work either. Nevertheless the selling dealer arranged for the car to go into my local dealer. My local dealer fixed the seats but informed me the car does not have dynamic braking but it does have a dynamic handling package and they have been attempting to identify the cause of the ticking noise since. They did change the front pads and calliper sliders as the pads were wearing unevenly but this did not fix the noise issue but was likely to have played a part in producing brake fade. Anyway to the nuts and bolts of this the ticking noise actually happens often under braking or hard steering at any speeds and does not change its rhythm with speed but at times it can be quiet, more often noticeable and occasionally extremely loud but no noticeable driving or other conditions seem to create the change in volume. I must add that the noise is best noticed when the sound is projected back off surrounding such as building, walls or road barriers. The cars handling is also poor but I do not know if this is related or just as it is. I have experienced brake fade at slow speeds on occasions which could be related. Does anybody have any ideas please or know of anybody in the South that may be able to help?

Did you buy the car from a Merc dealer? If so keep nagging them to check and fix it. If not, have a Merc dealer look at it.

Not that it helps but I had a similar problem on a very old Golf once. If I threw the car hard round a corner the noise would disappear but then eventually reappear. It was diagnosed as a gearbox problem but I sold the car instead of fixing.

paul_c said:
Could be a dodgy tyre.
Hi Paul_c They have tried swapping the wheels and tyres and this made no change. The noise is not adapted with speed though and happens only under braking or hard steering.

RWDpetrol said:
Did you buy the car from a Merc dealer? If so keep nagging them to check and fix it. If not, have a Merc dealer look at it. Not that it helps but I had a similar problem on a very old Golf once. If I threw the car hard round a corner the noise would disappear but then eventually reappear. It was diagnosed as a gearbox problem but I sold the car instead of fixing.
Hi RWDpetrol
I did buy from a dealer and have continually been nagging them as best I can, they have been more a less in denial and do not have the expertise within there branch, so took the car to their HQ but unfortunately did not make the noise apparent to them or another independent company, although my local dealer is fully aware of the noise and have been continually trying to identify. In fact when the selling dealer brought the car back to us at my local dealer when they could not hear the noise we demonstrated the noise within 20 seconds. I have also made a serious complaint to Mercedes and it now appears Mercedes are likely to leave me with the noise unidentified, but the battle still continues.
I would sell this car but the major depreciation is off putting and I feel Mercedes at least should identify the noise and considering I have experienced brake fade and repeatedly been told the car is safe. It has scarred me to the point that I would not wish to sell privately knowing the issues, in fact I am refusing to collect the car as I do not wish to put my family at any further risk. I cannot see how they can deem safe when they do not know the problem that causes the noise, more so the unevenly worn pads and calliper sliders have been replaced which may have been the cause of the brake fade I have experienced.

Does anybody know if the dynamic handling system utilises any kind of pressurising system?

Could be a cracked/warped disk or other related disk problem. Cheers, T.

Could be a cracked/warped disk or other related disk problem. Cheers, T.

Hi Tony

They have tried disks as well but no change. I was reluctant to this as the noise is not speed related.

It's as if there is some sort of mechanical, electrical or air driven stability pump or something and produces the noise when braking or steering hard, it fades out slightly if you were to take your foot off the brake then reapply immediately as if some relief has already occurred. ( if you are still with me )

Any suggestions appreciated?! Come on any wild guesses may generates some interest here.
Ticking noise under hard steering or any pressured braking at any speed, not speed related and the volume can change as and when it feels like it.

If you can't think of anything please appreciate the time I spend creating my avatar hahaha

I don't know what is causing your vehicle to "tick" but I'll try to assess the problem logically.

Problem: A ticking noise occurs under hard steering and braking and is not related to the speed of the vehicle.

From the above, I would initially rule out anything brake/wheel/tyre related as the ticking is constant.

Question: When you say, "hard steering" do you mean on full lock or aggressive steering as in slalom style?

When you hard brake or hard steer, the weight of the car shifts forward and I think that this is the place where your thinking and problem solving should start.

I need more time to think on this - sorry

Ticks & creaky noises are hard to track down and can take a lot of time to resolve properly. I've seen people use stethoscopes [probably a passenger in your case] to try and isolate the location, might need a long hose though....??

I don't know what is causing your vehicle to "tick" but I'll try to assess the problem logically.

Problem: A ticking noise occurs under hard steering and braking and is not related to the speed of the vehicle.

From the above, I would initially rule out anything brake/wheel/tyre related as the ticking is constant.

Question: When you say, "hard steering" do you mean on full lock or aggressive steering as in slalom style?

When you hard brake or hard steer, the weight of the car shifts forward and I think that this is the place where your thinking and problem solving should start.

I need more time to think on this - sorry

Hi w124nut thank you for your positive comments and considering the issue, the noise does not occur without braking or hard steering (yes as if in a slalom) but I would add the rhythm always appear the same regardless of the speed travelling and sounds like a clock going at four times the speed but strangely enough does lessen its volume should you lets say release the brake pedal then reapply. I do not know if there is a system for stability or something that may generate pressure that only releases under these conditions.

Please do have a think and get back

Ticks & creaky noises are hard to track down and can take a lot of time to resolve properly. I've seen people use stethoscopes [probably a passenger in your case] to try and isolate the location, might need a long hose though....??

Hi wdb124066 I understand they have tried a chassis sounding system but unfortunately it did not pick up the sound. All I can say is it definitely sounds front end but not obvious to whether it is the wheel braking area or under the bonnet. Stethoscopes would be a great idea though lol on a serious note I am considering seeing if anyone can wire a series of microphone or sound detectors to pin point the component or at least an area to where the issue occurs.

It's definitely not a creaky type of noise and due to its continuity and conditions to how it occurs I truly feel there is a dodgy component. I have had brake fade at slow speeds thankfully upon easy braking but am unsure if related to this or not. I best add that the car did have a recorded eps fault but mercedes state it was a communication fault between control units.

In fact I have a mini list of processes used so far which I will dig out and post to the board.

Thanks again and please do get back if any thing springs to mind where the Josie maybe coming from.

what about a broken spring or faulty strut mount? just a thought as it only happens while braking or turning

Hi Micybo the noise seems a little systematic I think to be this but a good suggestion thank you. I'm not sure if there are any sensors upon these struts though that may trigger something to create this noise, so if you or anyone else knows more on this, please do bring it to the board.

ADDITIONAL INFO from reports:
1. A full quick test diagnosis was performed. There was one stored fault in Electronic Stability Program (ESP) regarding the Vehicle’s instrument cluster. This was a communication fault between control units and would not result in a noise from the Vehicle at all
2. A control unit log was recorded and the above mentioned was erased.
3. Braking functions were then tested for operation during a road test. This includes ESP, Acceleration Skid Control (ASR) and Brake Assist (BAS) with Anti-lock Brake System (ABS). The aforementioned functions were working correctly and as expected.
4. Road test
5. An MOT standardised brake test was performed. All results were okay and the Vehicle passed well over the acceptable limit.
6. A final quick test was performed. There were no faults relating to the brake system.

Other parts changed that I know of that unfortunately did not resolved the noise issue so taken back off:
A. Disks swapped
B. Pads swapped
C. Calliper sliders changed (possibly cause of uneven brake pad wear and possibly the cause of brake fade experienced)

They was going to try callipers next due to thinking they may be warped / twisted and therefore creating uneven brake clamping i.e. top and bottom changing pressure points. Possibly the cause of uneven pad wear and possibly causing the noise. Unfortunately this is now where they have pulled out so still unknown, however I would appreciate any feedback to this theory?? as I am a little reluctant to go with it for the noise issue due to the noise always being of the same rhythm and not speed related. Nevertheless I can see a brake fade possibility what do you guys think?

Also the wheels were changed as a test but again I feel this would have been speed related.

Believe you me the technicians from my local garage would love to know what this problem is, they have been like a dog with a bone up to this stage.

I had a similar problem on a BMW i owned, a ticking under braking and steering and when they eventually found the problem it was the disc cowling catching. I found it hard to believe that after having new calipers pads and discs all under warrantee they just bent the cowling a bit and it cured it. LOL

I had a similar problem on a BMW i owned, a ticking under braking and steering and when they eventually found the problem it was the disc cowling catching. I found it hard to believe that after having new calipers pads and discs all under warrantee they just bent the cowling a bit and it cured it. LOL

Hi SLK32AMG if only it was lol I know that type of sound as I have experience that myself on another car in the past to when I was in the trade. That type of noise would have been speed related i.e. changing its rhythm with speed and the volume would always appear similarly consistent. Unfortunately this issue shows neither of these symptoms. Thank you for raising it though and please do get back should any other thoughts arise or my recollections differ from yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom