Uninsured Drivers Cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Guys

Had the annual surprise of my insurance renewal in the post box today.

Just wondering what opinions were on getting insurance that includes non insured drivers cover ?

I know it's all about risk, but on a 'cheap' car, do you think it is worth it ?

Chris

£660 :wallbash:

I am probably being dumb but I dont understand the question.

You can get additional cover so when hit by uninsured drivers you don't loose your no claims.

Now I understand. Some include this as standard - Direct line for one. Would this be the same as a protected NCD?

I thought the insurance industry paid into a fund to help cover against non-insured drivers? Are they letting you help them pay it lol? What exactly are they offering for £660:eek:

My opinion of insurance companies is not high btw:devil:

Uninsured drivers cover/protected NCD etc is a bit of a scam IMHO. If you change insurer, you still have to declare any accidents or claims, even if you were protected/didn't lose any NCD.

As a result, the current insurers have you over a barrel. They can load the premium come the following renewal (as a result of being 'involved' in an incident, regardless of fault) and likewise even with the protected NCD the premium will increase if you take your business elsewhere :(

I'm a bit sceptical and suspicious of insurance/warranty/etc companies - they wouldn't offer these extras if they weren't making a decent profit from them overall :wallbash:

It seems as though almost all regular insurance policies have gone up something like 25%+ recently, the 300TE went up to nearly £400 the other month, with no claims or anything and even more NCD than before :mad:

I thought the insurance industry paid into a fund to help cover against non-insured drivers? Are they letting you help them pay it lol? What exactly are they offering for £660:eek:

My opinion of insurance companies is not high btw:devil:

That is perfectly correct if you are unlucky enough to be hit by an uninsured driver and latest stats reckon there are about 1.7 million of them out there, you are compensated by the Motor Insurers Bureau which is the fund you refer to. Claiming via the MIB can be a lengthy and time consuming process so if you buy uninsured driver protection all you are doing is paying for someone else to deal with the MIB on your behalf.

Like most insurance add on's not worth the paper it's written on if you can read and write yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

£660 is for fully comp SDP + C - it's actually the cheapest I have found so far :(

I'd like to find it come in under £500; still have time to ring around at least.

Have you done the usual run though the compare the meerkat/confused/and-I-hate-to-suggest-because-of-the-ads-gocompare ?

When I did it, my current insurer (swift) offered a new subscriber a lower price than my renewal. I phoned them up and asked them to do better and they did. Its always worth giving them a call to make sure you are on their very best offer.

Yup, I know the routine, just got to get round to it.

I was asking about the additional cover, but will give that a miss.

Chris

MIB is what i had to pay 18k to when i was a silly boy and hit and unmarked police car while i was uninsured now i always make sure im insured

Have you done the usual run though the compare the meerkat/confused/and-I-hate-to-suggest-because-of-the-ads-gocompare ?

When I did it, my current insurer (swift) offered a new subscriber a lower price than my renewal. I phoned them up and asked them to do better and they did. Its always worth giving them a call to make sure you are on their very best offer.

Agreed - since turning 25 this year - their quotes have been by far the cheapest!

That is perfectly correct if you are unlucky enough to be hit by an uninsured driver and latest stats reckon there are about 1.7 million of them out there, you are compensated by the Motor Insurers Bureau which is the fund you refer to. Claiming via the MIB can be a lengthy and time consuming process so if you buy uninsured driver protection all you are doing is paying for someone else to deal with the MIB on your behalf.

Like most insurance add on's not worth the paper it's written on if you can read and write yourself.

If that is all it is, a total waste of money - you will end up with yet another layer of frustration. My sister was badly injured by a non-insured driver and the MIB made life a misery and it added a year to the process.

Thanks for the replies.

£660 is for fully comp SDP + C - it's actually the cheapest I have found so far :(

I'd like to find it come in under £500; still have time to ring around at least.

Everyone I know who drives reckons insurance is up at least 25% on last year, plus conditions and extras tightened up......:crazy:

Got to keep all those impoverished financial institutions afloat eh...:wallbash:

Did the MIB pay out in the end ?

In my case yes took me 18 months and I had expert legal help and advice from SWMBO and Pal. I was hit head on by an uninsured traveler (Pikey) in a transit pick up who went for an over take and did not see me, hit me head on at around 70 mph according to crash investigation, car a total write off (BMW 325i) but I walked away with just bruising to the face and chest from the air bags and seat belt. MIB paid out but it took several engineers reports and a whole load of time and hassle. I also retained ownership of the car which I broke and sold off the bits to make up for the hassle.

Thanks for the replies.

Try Perter Best Insurance services and insure it under their classic policy. It will cost you about half that amount depending on the mileage you want to drive in a year. You also get an additional discount if you are a member of the official MB owners club.

Furthermore, if the car is stolen or written off you will get an agreed valuation on the car and not book price.

My C230K is now under a classic policy with them and I am saving loadsa money :)

Last edited:
Sorry - nothing to do with the thread but Balge, I have to congratulate you on a fantastic avatar...

Get rid of uninsured drivers-if suspicious of the car/driver report them-let police do there job and hopefully crush the damn thing(car that is!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom