uniroyal rainsport 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolfie1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XE R Dynamic Black Series, A180 AMG LINE and an FD RX7
i know some folk on here run these tyres, but i cannot seem to find the answer im after online, so wonderered if someone could answer this? Do these tyres have a kerbing band to protect the alloys?

The last lot I had did I think but that's a few years back.

If you mean a rib line like some have then no they don't. But the rubber does extend out past the rim to offer protection.

Good tyres though, one of the best for the money.

I quote from the link.
Uniroyal RainSport 3.
225/35 r19 .
255/35 r19 XL with kerbing rib.

I have four...no kerbing rim on them, found them quite good tyres though.

I quote from the link.
Uniroyal RainSport 3.
225/35 r19 .
255/35 r19 XL with kerbing rib.

Ah, see where you are coming from, however look at the details section, it says rim protection = No

Description is from some numpty on the website who probably did a cut and paste from another entry, the details will have come from the manufacturer. They don't have a defined rim protector or rib, just the overlap of the tyre being slightly wider than the rim, but not by a huge amount.

I have these tyres fitted and nipped outside to check them to be doubly sure before I posted.

Last edited:

Last edited:
As stated, I have 4 of them sat on my A207 on the driveway outside, also have 4 on another car. They do not have the rim protector ribs on them, but are wider than the rim, so offer a slight protection (calling that rim protection is stretching it as it would be very minimal). Its maybe 2-3mm wider than the rim where they meet. The rim rib protectors like you find on Toyo's are around 5mm on top of a similar tyre over rim protector.

I guess 3 mil out from a kerb is 3 mil out so it works. It looks like it has a reinforced protruding flat section on the tyre.

111649-117306-main--2829.jpg

i am on my third set of rears on 19in alloys and their is NO protection. Really, just going into some potholes can cause damage to the alloys - However, saying that, I do get 12-15k out of them and their grip is fantastic.
I will be getting my wheels re done at some point, and then may change tyres to something that offers decent protection in spring next year.

If you want them to have any chance of protecting a rim from a pothole as opposed to kerb protection you need to try the XL. A 35 profile is a sucker for potholes no matter what you have.

Thats a bit or a bummer without the rim protector, was going to buy some but not so keen now without that
Thanks all :thumb:

If you want them to have any chance of protecting a rim from a pothole as opposed to kerb protection you need to try the XL. A 35 profile is a sucker for potholes no matter what you have.

Shouldn't mercs be fitted with xl load tyres as per factory specification anyway?

Take a look at Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3.

Im not really a fan of dunlops, had them on my rx7 and it felt like i was like driving on glass, but they were slightly better than the bridgestones i had on, they were just down right dangerous in the wet

Shouldn't mercs be fitted with xl load tyres as per factory specification anyway?
Yes, from 18" upwards. That does not mean everybody knows that.
A friend bought a w204 cdi and it was wearing the inner and outer shoulders. Tyre pressure was correct.
I checked the tyres and they were not XL. He changed them for XL and did not have any more problems.

The non XL tyres were on the car when he bought it and that was a previous lease car with FSH and had a health check on the tyres by both Mercedes and a tyre service station

Uniroyals are xl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom