Universal Remotes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
I currently have a Logitech Harmony One. It's worked flawlessly for 3-4yrs and still does but the battery isn't holding it's charge very well (barely makes it through the day) and try as I might I cannot get the thing out! Plus some of the hard plastic keys are becoming see through!

So, looking around for something new but there appears to be nothing but Logitech Harmony of various flavour!

So, I was wondering what do others use? What alternatives are out there?

Usual list of kit to control, TV, AV receiver, Squeezebox, DVD player, Digital PVR, CD player.

I use a Logitech Harmony 885 for controlling a lot of kit, the battery is Li-on and easily replaceable.. surely the high end One should be similar??

It is, it's just the battery is wedged in, no way is it coming out!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about the batteries swelling and wedging in place? After 4yrs I can't expect Logitech to replace it FOC, so looking for a change.

It is, it's just the battery is wedged in, no way is it coming out!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about the batteries swelling and wedging in place? After 4yrs I can't expect Logitech to replace it FOC, so looking for a change.

Yeah, if they swell up then they are pretty hard to get out.

It looks like as you said, it's all Logitech now, the 900 looks good!

The 900 is just a One with RF added..

Surely there must be another manufacturer out there? One that uses a different format and set-up?

So do you guys all juggle numerous remotes to control your AV systems. Or do you all have single manufacturer systems?

I use the One for All - Smart Control Motion. I didn't want a display on the remote as that just seems eat battery time, it does have back lighting but all in all not one I would recommend.

It says devices are setup in 30 secs but if like me you have two similar devices I cannot work out how to program one of them correctly ( one is a Bose sound system with built in DVD and the other a bluray player - the remote has both devices as "DVD" in its library of systems so as soon as you enter them it programs them to the same set of buttons so only the last programmed one works).
I have not in fairness spent enough time on it to work it out as the biggest problem is the motion control, basically every time you put the remote down it mutes the TV and if you knock it off the arm of the chair or sofa it can pause, change channel, fast forward or reverse by the time the remote has finished moving.

Now if that was not enough when you do actually try to use the motion control features they rarely work so you find yourself wailing your arms and willing the stupid thing to actually do something. You then throw the damn thing on the sofa at which point it will send 10 or so different commands on impact, it is however very good at increasing the amount of daily exercise as not only are you constantly wailing around in attempt to increase the volume but you them have to walk to the TV and finish the command manually.

AVOID - One for All, Smart Control Motion.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I also use a Logitech remote, I have a 785 - not had any problems with the battery on mine. As I am sure you know from your experience they really are fantastic remotes.

In terms of decent universal remotes (i.e. programmable, activity / macro based settings ec) there isn't much out there now. Philips pulled out the Pronto range from the market - so Logitech is really the dominant player.

It may be worth getting in touch with them - they have a reasonably good after sales support incuding a trade in program on other Logitech products. Also check their website for open box / refurbished models.

I have an Irene (the Mrs)does most things.:)

Well I never!!

Just called the Logitech Harmony support line, trying to get the remote to work with my shiny new Panasonic PVR, not yet on their database. They gave me a couple of alternatives that are very close and should tide me over until they add the new model

Thought I would ask how to get the battery out, as it was stuck firm. The guy asked for the serial number and then said he would send me a brand new Harmony One+ :eek:

Result! :bannana:

Now that's what I call customer service!! :thumb:

That's impressive.

Think I'm going to have to get ours going. Could not persuade it to work with the sky box, probably as I'm thick.

Very impressive and very good business sense as I will now stick with Logitech. Gives me a positive feeling wrt my wireless keyboard, mouse and Squeezebox!

Logitech are pretty good with replacing things. I used to use a Logitech MX Revolution mouse that wore out from constant use and the left button wouldn't click any more. I rang them up and they sent me a brand new one :) I'd owned it for about 4 years also.

One odd thing was though, they insisted I destroy the original mouse, take a picture (inc serial number) and send it to them. I tell you now, those mice are hard to destroy, even with a hammer! (It was fun though!)

No need to return or destroy my original Harmony, it's been disabled! Can't change or update it any more. Support email not to try connecting it to my pc as configuration could be wiped!! When replacement remote arrives I should follow the "replace remote" procedure.
I wont have to rebuild all my applications.

Just got tracking data.. Delivery for 09 Aug.

Now that's service! :)

I've just remembered where I was having problems with mine. The software was not compatible with Windows7 64bit. Have they resolved that?

I've just remembered where I was having problems with mine. The software was not compatible with Windows7 64bit. Have they resolved that?

Appears so! I'm running WN7 64bit and have no probs with the Harmony Remote software (ver7) :thumb:

I have an Irene (the Mrs)does most things.:)

Got a Liz at this house. Gawd help us if we ever get a Tivo Box.

This is the best remote control money can buy. :)

14357d1239966969-how-control-woman-copy-npw_w4342_control_a_woman-1-.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom