Unknown Belt E300TD 1999 W210 606 Engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigelwu

Car
e320
I've just replaced the Poly V belt/Serpentine Belt but noticed another smaller width belt running in the same orientation just aroundbelow the V-belt. Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know what this belt is. The timing belt is a chain and it is not the aux fan belt. Really just wondering if this is another belt that should be periodically changed.

I've no idea what the belt might drive but if it's rubber, like the bigger belt, then yes change it on the same time scale?

I've just replaced the Poly V belt/Serpentine Belt but noticed another smaller width belt running in the same orientation just aroundbelow the V-belt. Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know what this belt is. The timing belt is a chain and it is not the aux fan belt. Really just wondering if this is another belt that should be periodically changed.
It is a fan belt. Type you cars reg into ECP and look under drive belts.

Many thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have access to the ECP but am confused as to why there would be a fan belt here ie somewhere roughly behind the crank shaft pulley- it doesn't seem to be connecting with anything to do with the fans/ radiators. Do you have any access to a drawing or such like of this area of the engine that might show this belt?

Many thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have access to the ECP but am confused as to why there would be a fan belt here ie somewhere roughly behind the crank shaft pulley- it doesn't seem to be connecting with anything to do with the fans/ radiators. Do you have any access to a drawing or such like of this area of the engine that might show this belt?
Sorry i should have been clearer. ECP is euro car parts website.

Put your reg in and then go to engine- drive belts and you will see as well as the aux belt (6pkxxxx) you also have a fan belt on an om606.
You could try the below parts catalogue which has diagrams which are useful but it is not working for me at the moment for some reason.

Thank you for those links. Your use of ECP caused me to stumble across this website which is very useful to look uo parts etc.
I've had a closer look in better light at my question. It isn't a belt - it's the timing marks on the flywheel! Sorry.

Thank you for those links. Your use of ECP caused me to stumble across this website which is very useful to look uo parts etc.
I've had a closer look in better light at my question. It isn't a belt - it's the timing marks on the flywheel! Sorry.
I wonder what the second OM606 belt listed on Euro car parts site is for then?

Here are some diagrams for a w210 300 turbodiesel which may be of use.

Last edited:
Thanks that is a useful link. I think that belt may be for linking the two fans behind the front grille. Although I've found some of these parts sites list a lot of stuff for a specified car that are clearly not suitable for that car.

Thanks that is a useful link. I think that belt may be for linking the two fans behind the front grille. Although I've found some of these parts sites list a lot of stuff for a specified car that are clearly not suitable for that car.
On a facelift 210 with the om613 common rail diesel engine you have the fan behind the rad driven by the aux belt (6pkXXXX) and in front of the rad 2 electric fans.

Your om606 appears to share more in common with my w201 190d's engine than the om613. Same simple user friendly aux belt tensioning system running the alternator, water pump, pas and ac and a proper inline diesel pump albeit electronically controlled on an om606, i assume. Hence the high om606 bhp/ torque.

Maybe the secondary om606 belt (if it exists) is used to drive an obscure option like a self levelling suspension pump on a saloon?

I think only one of the fans is electrically driven and the other is driven by a belt from the electrically driven one. So I was chasing rabbits when I mentioned an unknown belt due to poor eyesight. In fact there are only two on the 606 the v belt and the one just mentioned.

The two additional fans are the air-con fans.
One of them is electrically driven and the other one is driven via the belt

Thank you that clears up that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom