Unleaded or Super Unleaded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Duchatelet

Car
300E Carat Duchatelet
The other day I pulled into the local petrol station to fill up and found there to be a long queue for the pumps. The queue was caused by a lack of unleaded pumps being available (the others having out of order signs on them) and obviously no one wanted to pay the extra 4p or so for the super unleaded. Not being particularly patient I thought sod the queue and filled up with super unleaded. This got me thinking, is it any better? so after a quick google I found that the general opinion was that it depends on the cars ECU and if the car has the ability to detect the higher octane rating and adjust its ECU accordingly, I know that mine has one (1992 W124 300E) and wondered if it would indeed make a difference. I reset the odometer every time I fill up so this will give me something of an idea but thought I'd ask here and see what your thoughts are.

Yeah you've pretty much nailed it. Modern cars with turbos / superchargers you would generally run on super. Older cars ECU's either cant adapt or super unleaded would make minimal difference.

That said, its probably a good idea to run a few tanks of Shell Vpower Nitro through your car every year or use something like Forte petrol treatment to clear out any gunk

Modern cars with turbos / superchargers you would generally run on super.

And higher-output normally-aspirated also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom