Unlocking COMAND to view DVD while car is moving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles.Y

I have been trying to unlock my 2005 E350's COMAND to enable viewing DVD while the car is moving but no avail.

The DVD in my COMAND only works when the speed is below I think 5-10mph. I understand there is a way to unlock the DVD to play even at higher speed (it is for the passenger to th watch not myself) and I have been following the procedures ( Mercedes Comand Aps Unlock Classe e - Slk - Sl - S- Cls - Ml ).

I managed only into the Engineering Mode but unable to get into the 'secret menu' by pressing the *, # and < buttons simultaneously.

I wonder if anyone had successfully unlock this DVD feature and how its done please.

Charles

Prepare yourself for the onslaught. Of course if you want to watch and interact with Teletext whilst on the move that's OK with Mercedes-Benz.

changing the speed of the tv shutoff can be done with Star in developer mode, but I doubt you will find many dealers willing to enable this feature

Done. The secret menu is via the #, * and < holding simultaneously.
I have also unlock the DVD region to '0' i.e. region free :)

I thought such posts were banned on this forum.

We don't know where 'CharlesY' lives so not necessarily illegal. Obviously UK/EU would be illegal - I believe. Elsewhere, well that's open to debate!!

Hi Charles,

Disabling the region coding is possible as you cite, but I would be surprised if you managed to unlock video cut-off while driving. That, as far as I know requires a hardware module on your model. Earlier vehicles used to be able to unlock through software, but Mercedes removed that feature.

You can unlock video in motion (but not through the engineering mode unless you have STAR.) But you will find it very difficult to extract that info from anyone.

We don't know where 'CharlesY' lives so not necessarily illegal. Obviously UK/EU would be illegal - I believe. Elsewhere, well that's open to debate!!

May be it is legal where CharlesY lives (but I doubt it very much), but it is still a stupid and dangerous thing to do which should not be encouraged on this forum.

I would go so far as to say it is not legal where CharlesY lives, and ask him to prove otherwise.

Maybe he just wants it as a cheap solution for his children to watch the DVD whilst he's driving. I'd certainly do it and have no problems in concentrating on driving and NOT watching the film...

Time was when such technical trickery was welcomed.
But now that anyone distracted by a DVD, TV, phone or sat nav and an accident happens is about as popular as a drunk driver.
However iron-willed we consider ourselves not to watch while driving, statistics would prove overwise. Very unwise!:(

Lets not forget that if you have an aftermarket media player outputting track titles etc to the screen then you'd need to disable video in motion in order to view while driving. This is no more dangerous than looking at your speedo while driving IMHO. The law does not apply in this case.

Under Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a road if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television screen showing anything other than information:

(a) about the state of the vehicle or equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle;

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

That is the law, regardless of whether anyone here agrees or disagrees with it. So by allowing such posts, is the club condoning and even encouraging law breaking by publishing such information? There is enough illegal crap posted on the internet as it is, but I do not expect this forum to promote any law breaking activities.

Last edited:
I think that once you unlock the Engineers Menu it then gives you a link where you can purchase a tray that fits over the steering wheel. This tray is forthe front seat passengers to rest their cans of bacardi, plus of course theri beefburghers.

It is all done in the best possible taste

20-4006559.jpg

I think that once you unlock the Engineers Menu it then gives you a link where you can purchase a tray that fits over the steering wheel. This tray is forthe front seat passengers to rest their cans of bacardi, plus of course theri beefburghers.

It is all done in the best possible taste

20-4006559.jpg

And their book and mobile phone I presume.

Under Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a road if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television screen showing anything other than information:

(a) about the state of the vehicle or equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle;

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

That is the law, regardless of whether anyone here agrees or disagrees with it. So by allowing such posts, is the club condoning and even encouraging law breaking by publishing such information? There is enough illegal crap posted on the internet as it is, but I do not expect this forum to promote any law breaking activities.

The law, as you have quite correctly quoted it, says it is illegal to drive a car whilst the driver is able to see anything on a screen other than information about the car or where it is going. That does not, prima facie, make enabling video in motion illegal, it just makes the act of using it whilst in motion illegal, which is quite a different thing.

The law, as you have quite correctly quoted it, says it is illegal to drive a car whilst the driver is able to see anything on a screen other than information about the car or where it is going. That does not, prima facie, make enabling video in motion illegal, it just makes the act of using it whilst in motion illegal, which is quite a different thing.
You are perfectly correct.
A French lorry driver was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and a significant part of the evidence was the fact that as this lorry over took other vehicles, the drivers could see this person looking across at a televison that was in the front of his cab......

Even though he ploughed into a stationary vehicle and there were no skid marks on the road... The prosecution could not PROVE he was watching the TV... he merely had a sneezing fit that caused the lapse of concentration. A whole family wiped out and this person sneeezed their way out of court.

I would love for a driver to one day have the courage, the guts, to stand up and be honest.... "My fault, I was watching a DVD!" ..... whooops, the Pope just drove by watching his wedding video... :devil:

I would love for a driver to one day have the courage, the guts, to stand up and be honest.... "My fault, I was watching a DVD!" ..... whooops, the Pope just drove by watching his wedding video... :devil:

In much the same way I would love to see anybody stand up in court and say 'sorry it was my fault, I was driving like a tw@t'

You don't need a TV cause accidents :)

But that would make the act of enabling video in motion a pointless exercise wouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom