Unplugged dash cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flackadder

Car
C220 Sport 125 edition Cdi Blue Efficiency 5dr Auto Diesel Estate. W204.
Was surprised to find my dash cam unplugged when car was returned to me from having a service. never happened before. After ringing Mercedes they told me that it was in the terms mentioned on job sheet. Apparently, this is done for the privacy of the driver. Can't see why they would need that, but nevertheless, I ask the guy on phone semi joking 'so that means they can do 100mph down the by-pass with no comebacks?' he never replied.

Plug the thing back in...is all I ask.

Obviously, this means that when i get snapped and on camera for speeding (never happened yet, mind) I can just scream invasion of privacy. I am not overly confident I would get away with that.

I always inform MB Coventry that a dash is fitted and if the technician is not happy then he can put a pice of card across the dashcam lens.
So far they have never covered it as the bonnet is up most of the time or the ignition is off.

Was surprised to find my dash cam unplugged when car was returned to me from having a service. never happened before. After ringing Mercedes they told me that it was in the terms mentioned on job sheet. Apparently, this is done for the privacy of the driver. Can't see why they would need that, but nevertheless, I ask the guy on phone semi joking 'so that means they can do 100mph down the by-pass with no comebacks?' he never replied.

Plug the thing back in...is all I ask.

Obviously, this means that when i get snapped and on camera for speeding (never happened yet, mind) I can just scream invasion of privacy. I am not overly confident I would get away with that.

This is nothing to be surprised about. If you were to be truly surprised that would be not good [emoji276]

I tell the garage the camera is there and the can switch it off if they choose. I read nothing into it.

I have some sympathy here with garage employees now. After all, they don’t invite the filming which some would consider intrusive. Watch enough, I’m sure we will all find wally [emoji39]

No judgement here from me. Just try to sit on the other side of the church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that this is only of any real use for them when car is being driven..... May phone the wife to discuss the evenings entertainment etc. If it was just about privacy they would have their faces pixelated for when ever I am at the garage staring at them through the glass panels.

On a slightly different note, I also mentioned to the guy on phone that the Spielberg directed video they send to show all the things they would love to work on, is totally useless if all I can hear is the music in their workshop and the 'mechanic' is not audible.

Nothing wrong with it IMO. would you film a Plumber or Sparkie? no. Would you like your boss to start filming you work? no.

If you film it, people are going to anaylize the video and bombard them with questions etc thinking they know better.

If your worried about joy riding, dont take it to that garage.

I had a 'stealthy' dashcam installed on my BMW, it wasn't hardwired in and was plugged into the 12V socket and I forgot to unplug it when I left it with the dealer. A few days latter when checking it was recording OK I noticed a days worth of footage was missing. In that car the 12V would power up when you unlocked it, so it was quite suspicious that the last bit of footage was me locking the car and walking off at the dealership - I would've wondered if they'd done anything at all except for a quarter of a tank of fuel had been used and I collected it from the other side of the car park.

When I looked into it a bit more, I managed to recover some deleted files and saw a few hidden folders had been created by some sort of Android device. Instead of just unplugging it, the guy who took it on a road test decided to take the memory card out and delete the footage. I wouldnt have minded if he'd just unplugged it but I think rooting through a memory card to delete recordings is very shifty.

Before that I'd always unplugged it and still unplug it whenever it goes into a dealer. Ignorance is bliss and all that...

My C Class was serviced yesterday and they unplugged the dash cam, as above I don't read much into it and can see why for privacy purposes. I'm an IT Systems Engineer and my entire server sessions are recorded whenver I work on a customer's system. That being said I've agreed to be recorded as per the terms of my employment, I doubt these guys have hence the valid reason for disconnecting the camera.

My local dealership have never bothered unplugging mine on a service.
It never occurred to me really, as I generally never check my footage. But I wanted to check something that happened on my drive home, and discovered that I had inadvertently recorded the tech doing the service.

My Nextbase is on a magnetic mount so I simply unclip it any time it’s in for servicing.

The dealers that unplug dashcams may have been influenced by GDPR regs. Even the employer can't video a technicians work without due cause and prior notification. To allow any video recording including customers dashcams, they would have to have internal written procedures and a good reason for doing so. The easy way to comply with GDPR is allow no video recording of any sort.

MB told me they unplugged my dash cam in case of any interference and so did the company that mapped the car. Don't think it was a big issue, I just plugged it back in before I set off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom