Unstabil Comand - trouble to find satelites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norseman

Car
2004 E 320 T CDI Avantgarde
Hello again, forum - long time no see :)
I still have my 2004 E320CDI Wagon. During this summer I have discovered some problems with my Comand.

Problem 1
Sometimes my GPS works, the head unit tells me that i`ve contact with 4-5 satelites. The funny thing is that my TomTom find 7-8 satelites at the same spot.

From time to time the number of satelites found drops to 1-2, which means that it can`t tell the position of the car. Other time it can`t find any satelites at all, I`ve seen both "0" and "-" on my Comand (while my TomTom still find satelites...)

I suspect it can be bad connection or a broken antenna, but i don`t know where to start.

Problem 2
When i was driving in Sweden this summer, with the navigation on, the headunit suddenly went off before it startedstarting again - this continued several times every 1 or 2 minutes, until i aborted the nav-session. Then it went back to normal. Back in Norway i tried the nav-session again, and it worked perfectly.

I don`t have any clue what this can be, but i`m speculate if it can be anything with different TMC-system in these two countries... Any one knows??

My appology for not writing fluent english....

You should check your GPS antenna and the wiring (I cannot remember if the wagon has an intermediate connector too), specifically when you see "-" occasionally at the Comand GPS status display.

The TMC system should be the same in Sweden and Norway, based on RDS. Odd if TMC would make a difference. Do you have a good DVD, perhaps some issues with the data for Sweden? Could be just a coincidence too.

GPSantenna is prone to failure on the w211. Plenty of threads about it in the past and how to replace it use the search. Buy a cheap one from ebay to try out and confirm it is faulty.

thx for good answers, I`ll try to chech it out. Have searched for how to replace the antenna, but can anyone help me with a good DIY?

Have a new, original dvd back in the boot (cost me apx £320). Maybe the on/off issue is a warning that my nav is on its way to say goodbye for good??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom