Unused R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pug wash

Car
Clk320, SL350 R230 CLS GE
Hi guy's, I have just joined the forum, but have followed you for some time and the collective knowledge is astounding. Here's where I come in for some honest sound advice.
I am going to have a look at a 2002 108,000 miles R230, it has just past an MOT and has advisories on the tyres, discs and exhaust. To pass the emissions must be ok, however the car had not been used for 4 years. It's been serviced, new batteries and I am told almost everything work, but I will check of course. The keyless go does not recognise the key, but reading here I have learned that leaving the key in the ignition in position 2 the car will again pair with the key. I am expecting to spend some quality money to bring it up to scratch, but my question is although it drives and is roadworthy could there be underlying issues that I would need to be aware of. The only reason why I am looking at buying a car as this is in my price range and because my darling wife has limited my spend and most importantly I want one so bad. Had R109's previously.
Thanks guys and I know the truth hurts so I am prepared.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice car but no idea what to look out for but I'm sure advice will be forthcoming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be a bit wary, my recently purchased w124 e320 was very lightly used over that past few years, and now everything seems to be breaking now I've started using it, coils, ecu and now water pump!

Good job it was cheap but on a 45 min test drive it didn't miss a beat

Check the ABC fluid is not brown or black, it should be a green colour.
Check all suspension struts for leaks
Check all hydraulic pipe work for leaks
Check the roof goes down and back up smoothly several times
Check the boot for leaks, if the carpets are wet you may have an issue with the PSE pump
Check for leaks under the passenger footwell carpet.
check all electrics work.

Issues with any of the above could be expensive..

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. This message from the seller.
I took the car on a long run out to Birmingham yesterday and it drove faultlessly. However I nipped to the shops later in the evening and the ABS warning came on. today I called in at the local garage and they have checked the codes it is showing front left wheel speed sensor.
The light has been off again today but I wanted to be as honest as possible as I suspect that it could be and intermittent issue. either way it dose not affect the way it drives at all. So clearly good advise.
Thanks again.

Unless its really really cheap or you want a project to do, I wouldn't go for it. There are plenty of R230s around well maintained and with a lot less mileage. You could end up spending an awful lot more than a good one would have cost. JMO of course.

Update, it's amazing what you can find on the web, the guy has written a blog on another site and I'm impressed with the work that he has carried out to bring the car up to the standard it is now, however I am also aware of the shortcuts ie using a PSE from a CL or parts of it? There are still minor issues which can no doubt be fixed. Now I'm toying with the fact do I take a chance, spend a few k to have a relatively trouble free beautiful SL 500 AMG black with grey interior or do I wait and buy one for the right money and hope things don't go wrong a week later.
Decisions decisions, I'm starting to get a headache ha!

How much is the car on sale for. Do you know what options it has fitted, a search on the VIN will tell you if you don't know.

It's up for £4500, heated cooled seats keyless go and I would assume a standard pack, sat nav etc. He has said that he gave it a service, so not by indie or Merc, 2xbatteries, new radiator and coolant, new gearbox oil cooler and fluid change, replaced faulty ABC pipe and changed the fluid, also the TV requires a digital update, but I watch my Jeremy Kyle every morning as I'm getting ready for work so that's not an issue. I'll ask for the VIN, thanks

Check out Readers Cars on Pistonheads, "R230 SL500 shed project/massive money pit" sounds like the same car. Guy bought it as a non-runner about 6 weeks or so ago, you can read what he has done to it.

I have just bumped it to the top of the pile to make it easier to find. Bu hurry it won't stay there for long.

Sorry but I don't know how to do links.

Last edited:
Thanks Monkeyhead, I had already found it So in your opinion it's worth a punt? And the price, I was going to try to have a deal my CLK (which is solid) plus cash. I don't use my car that often anyway so I could use the cash I save buying can go towards further restoration.

The guy seems genuine and has done quite a lot to the car. He seems to have sorted the expensive bits so I think at £4500 it's worth shot.

These are not going to get much cheaper I don't think and you could recover your £4.5k pretty easily if you need to.

The only thing I would want to know is why he is moving it on quickly. Is it because he intended to get it running and make a bit of money on it, or has he found other issues that he doesn't want to sort?

I am not suggesting either is the case.

Last edited:
If it's too good to be true then it's not true, plenty of people can come across as genuine and plausible but why go to all the effort of doing what he's done only to shift it on?

That said if I found a nice all black R230 500 with a panoramic roof at the right price I'd consider a change and I've spent quite a lot on my R129. :)

Firstly apologies Monkeylegend for getting your name wrong, no idea where that came from, secondly I think that you may be right with both thoughts. My thinking is either buy another at the right money and risk something failing as I drive away, or buy this knowing that I would need to spends thousands to bring it up to scratch but with the peace of mind of having new parts fitted. These can also be done at my leasure so the spend will not hurt so much and like you say, these are not going to get any cheaper.
I have admiration for this guy and his dedication, unfortunately I do not have the skills. In saying that I am sure that with guidance I may be able to change parts myself.
Grammy, not a pan roof I'm afraid, but then I can't have everything .

Thanks guys your input has and is priceless.

Monkeylegend

Yes, I am the guy ;-) small world.

Thought I'd read his thread again just to see if I missed anything, hopefully popping up tomorrow.

I have been called worse, no need to apologise :thumb:

Good luck with the viewing.

I am now in possession of the VIN, any guidance on the best site to use please. There's so many sites and I'm still a virgin, yes this really is my first time but I was saving myself for the right one to come along ha!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom