Unusual (but brilliant) Covers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As Mr Nemesis asked for unusual covers, I thought I'd try to oblige with one of my favourite songs from an embarrassingly long time ago. (1971 apparently)

I've been reliving my past life over the last few months and, whilst going through some old vinyl, came across American Beauty which is still my favourite ever Grateful Dead album. As I don't currently have a turntable due to a total tech revamp I'm currently going through, I did a quick online search for it and got loads of hits, with one particular song standing out.

Friend of the Devil was, in fact still is, my favourite track on the album and the version I found here is very different from it but no less impressive, to me at least. The band are Counting Crows, who I had the pleasure of seeing in Manchester many years ago, about the time they were just starting to become popular so mid - late 90s? This clip is from the Howard Stern show and starts around 45 seconds in.

Anyway, I'm rambling sorry. Here is a live performance of a Grateful Dead song, Friend of the Devil by Counting Crows.: -

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Incidentally, Counting Crows also do a mean version of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" if anyone's interested, certainly worth a quick listen to...

Found this a couple of weeks ago..

Love her jazz funk cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Dreams
I think she is a very special talent, great voice, outstanding drummer and very attractive.

Brings to mind a comment made to me by a German friend one evening during ten pin bowling in Hamburg. There was a group of very attractive ladies a couple of lanes away from ours. He turned to me and said "Too hot for me, too young for you!" He was right too. :(

Checkout Willan Lee's cover of Dire Straits' - Sultans of Swing (sorry I can't link the YouTube video because of some weird glitch).

This one?

I am unable to send the link to this ,but if you like singers then go and watch this woman on Youtube Adaline Mocke Will You Still Love Me Tommorow ..I think she is telling you something with her eyes . Very nice to watch.

Unusual ? Well, how about something from the Grammy Award winning North London 25 year old that you've never heard of ?

Extraordinary Jazz and Acappella skills.

Or more conventionally:

Saw this guy playing on the street in Barcelona a number of years ago. Astonishing player.

And in a similar vein, a cover from someone I've yet to see play in person.

Long time since we’ve had a cover so here’s one from a group that my wife introduced me to. She plays several traditional instruments, with the dombyra being one of them. She’s tried to play the Hotel California riff after we saw The Eagles at Twickenham many years ago, but not as good as these guys.

A song for our time ------- Cara Dillon does Dougie Maclean's GARDEN VALLEY

Fabulous cover of a Donovan song

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom