Unusual Food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So halloween is coming up, and as usual, I'm unprepared for the party I invited people to.

I've decided I am going to cook food that people usually feel squeamish about eating... or food which is perfectly normal, but looks odd

So my menu will have (dependent on what I can source):

- Breaded & Fried Brains (cow, ox or lamb - Italian recipe from when I was a kid)

- Fried Goats balls (African recipe, again, from my childhood. Finding these may be tough. Might be able to find steer testicles instead)

- Pasta with fish sperm (south Italian recipe, from my uncles down south)

- Pigeon (stuffed, roast, in a pan... not sure... need to find a reputable butcher who has this)

- Rabbit or hare (as for the pigeon)

- BBQ'ed chicken hearts (brazillian recipe from a friend)

- Snails with garlic and parsley

-Bambi's Mother in red wine sauce (sorry, venison)

I was considering guinea pigs; but I don't know how to cook them, never tried/cooked them, and never been to Brazil... Not to mention sourcing them would be near impossible!

Horse meat I'm guessing is near impossible to find in the UK, right?

I did consider tripe; but I can't stand the smell of it!

My intention isn't really to have a sleuth of hungry guests (hence the array of food... hopefully there is something they'll try!). My intention is to make people realise that what is considered taboo, unedible or just downright "wrong" on a table in one culture is considered normal or even a delicacy in another.

Any ideas as to some other things I could try making? Or places I can buy the above? Going to call my local butcher tomorrow... let's see if I get thrown out...
M.

Balut....a common delicacy in the Philippines.. and if you can't face it - try Durian...

Balut: A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell.

Durian: The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and offensive. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine and gym socks. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia.

You should find a lot of these in the Selfridges food hall, and if you ring up Vicars Game near Reading they can source game etc easily.

You might have to catch your own horse here though.

Personally I love tripe.

Other things would be a pigs head, pajata (calf tripe with the mother's milk - a great Roman delicacy) & lamprays in red wine (a Bordelaise speciality) among many others.

Guinea pigs can be found in pet shops.....

Push the boundaries and buy a couple of Pot Noodles.

For the canapé... Fortnum and Mason used to sell chocolate covered grasshoppers and white chocolate with (dead) ants. It is supposed to be a delicatessen. Or so I'm told.

No ideas, but have to say thats my kind of food :thumb:

I do have an idea, sheep's Head. i remember eating this many times in Cyprus. Its basically cooked very slow in the oven. you can eat the eyeballs, tongue and the brain, Lovely jubbly.

Didn't realise that selfridges had this side of the table! Must try to find the time to pop dow before saturday (shopping on saturday!)

I've heard of the rotten egg... not too keen actually :p

Durian I've tried, and quite like! Just pinch your nose beforehand... Dry durian I can't stand though. I'll see if I can find some in Southall or Selfridges on saturday! Good idea :D

Any ideas where I can find dry ice? I'm thinking of getting a little fog going on the cold dishes :D

M.

EDIT: Good idea about the insects! I do remember seeing packets of fried worms to be served like crisps... need to remember where!

Animal heads I've thought of... but they are a LOT of work to cook and take ages!

(oh, and before anyone asks... yes, there is a vegeterian person invited... in a bit of a tight spot there.. so I'm thinking something to do with nettles and wild plants...)

Last edited:
Durian I've tried, and quite like! Just pinch your nose beforehand... Dry durian I can't stand though. I'll see if I can find some in Southall or Selfridges on saturday! Good idea :D
You can get it in Earls Court:

I think I may have a pack of squid ink somewhere... spaghetti with squid ink is something I grew up on and tastes spectacular... there's one more for the list :D

For the canapé... Fortnum and Mason used to sell chocolate covered grasshoppers and white chocolate with (dead) ants. It is supposed to be a delicatessen. Or so I'm told.

They still sell various insects suspend in something clear (not sure what).

(oh, and before anyone asks... yes, there is a vegeterian person invited... in a bit of a tight spot there.. so I'm thinking something to do with nettles and wild plants...)

Would a Venus fly trap count as a vegetarian option? (No idea whether it's edible, though...)

If you have Italian origins, then surely a horse's head would be the most appropriate? :D

For a real horror show why not just feed them Subway sandwiches. Guaranteed vomit, screaming and gnashing of teeth :D

For the vegetarians, you could get any type of animal feed - dog food / cat food / fish food etc....

For the vegetarians, you could get any type of animal feed - dog food / cat food / fish food etc....

As an ex-veggie just the smell of raw meat was enough to make me gag...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom