Unusual Rattle/Noise - can anyone help please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cakesparky

Car
SL500 'Designo' in Black with AMG extras
Hi all,

My beloved SL 500 (2002) has developed a loud rattle/scraping noise when the accelerator is depressed. Not exclusively then, as it also does it when 'freewheeling'.
(54,000 miles on the clock - recently had full service.

The noise is definitely NOT from the engine block.

A Mercedes dealer diagnosed that a piece of the Cat material had broken away and was rattling around loose - as a result I had 2 after market Cats fitted and the noise seemed to stop for a few days.

Now the noise is back - I'll describe it as best I can.
It's like a piece of loose metal is either trailing the ground (I've checked and of course it's not) --- or like a small piece of metal or debris inside a drum rattling round....It most commonly occurs when gears are engaged, but also does it when standing idling in neutral.

I'm in the middle of a grand tour of Europe and have a 1000 mile journey home in the next few days - and want to be reasonably confident it's not a terminal fault!! At least it might make it home to my local workshop!

Can anyone suggest any possible causes?

Thanks!

I had something very similar to that and when I took it to my local indy he informed me, with a big grin on his face, that I had a loose exhaust pipe clamp! £10 and it was like a new car .... sorted!

There's a known issue with the R230 where a baffle comes loose in the fuel tank, rattling around. Could it be that?

Thanks guys - I'll have them both checked out when get back to Blighty!

Any other suggestions all very welcome....

I would be looking at the cats again. Cheapo non gen cats are just not worth it IMO.

Surely even aftermarket cats wouldn't fail after 2 days ? :eek:

No, don't think it's the Cats failing - suspicion is a mis-diagnosis by the Merc guy, and I've shelled out £800 on 2 cats it probably didn't need!
Will know more when I get back to UK from Monte Carlo... Expensive enough place without breaking down here...

Exhaust pipe clamps and the chumps that fitted the 'mickey mouse' exhaust cats didnt buy a new fitting kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom