Unven tyre wear

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by chesterpiglet, Apr 16, 2014.

  1. chesterpiglet

    chesterpiglet Active Member

    Messages:
    67
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Hi all
    I had the tracking done last October, wheels balanced etc. On both sides the inner 5% is scrubbed & has gone down to the steel bands! The remaining 95% is fine. It is not the 1st time this has happened & I also had it on my E300 too. Also get n/s wheel wobble which presumably is when the wheel gets further out of balance & the car pulls slightly to the left whereby you correct it with the steering wheel. I took it to a non MB garage and the mechanic said there was play in both front wheel bearings & that was the cause. Is he right? As always any help much appreciated.
     
  2. AMGeed

    AMGeed MB Club Veteran

    Messages:
    9,208
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Location:
    Bournemouth/Poole Dorset
    Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    It's usually the camber that is out when excessive wear is on the inside rim of a tyre.
    Ideally you need to find somewhere that has a Hunter 4 wheel alignment machine.

    This company is recommended.
    Wheel Alignment Experts Chesham | Car Tyres Fitting and Wheel Alignment Specialists

    Re the wheel bearings, an indy can adjust or replace them pretty quickly if that is a problem. I adjusted mine in about 20mins per wheel.
     
  3. OP
    OP
    chesterpiglet

    chesterpiglet Active Member

    Messages:
    67
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Thanks for that. I had the tracking done on a 4 wheel alignment machine in France in October last year. Both my W210's have done exactly the same thing, but when I searched on here it seems no one else has suffered from the same problem.
     
  4. Dieselman

    Dieselman Banned

    Messages:
    34,206
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2003
    Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    As the springs age the car sits lower so the camber goes out. You probably need new springs.
     
  5. OP
    OP
    chesterpiglet

    chesterpiglet Active Member

    Messages:
    67
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Many thanks. I will let you know how I get on.
     
  6. Benzowner

    Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

    Messages:
    2,377
    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2004
    Location:
    Bristol
    Car:
    B180 CDi W245 in Silver
    Not such a daft question, but did the wheel aligners realise you have an Avantgard with the lowered suspension. I took mine into a well known tyre dealer in the UK with a 4 wheel alignment machine and told me the measurements were miles out, on the way back to the car he spotted the badge, changed the disc in the machine and the figures looked a lot better.
     
  7. renault12ts

    renault12ts MB Club Veteran

    Messages:
    14,679
    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    If the bearings are the cause...I'll eat my hat.

    You can adjust the bearings yourself...but I doubt it's your problem. If the bearings are out you can hear them.

    Check the ball joints.
     
  8. OP
    OP
    chesterpiglet

    chesterpiglet Active Member

    Messages:
    67
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Hi I have just dug out the invoice & it was in fact in June I had it done. It only says MB E320 1995-2003 on the print out. I will take it to a specialist when I visit London & mention it is an Avantagarde. I will have a look on here regarding adjusting the bearings myself, from what I could see there was a little movement when he moved the wheel but it didn't appear excessive & there was no mention at the MOT which was at a very strict centre. Thanks again everyone I will let you know how I get on.
     
  9. OP
    OP
    chesterpiglet

    chesterpiglet Active Member

    Messages:
    67
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Ball joints are apparently fine.
     
Tags:

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.