• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Unwanted and unasked for Text Messages

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I have been receiving text messages offering prizes ( like 3 a day) I didn't pay much attention until my mobile phone bill arrived and was shocked to find I was being charged almost £1.50 per text. After some searching, I found the company responsible -Zamano Solutions based in Dublin. On contacting them ,they promised to put a block on the texts and refund my money. So far as expected, no refund has been forthcoming. Does anyone know how a company can do this (ie send texts which the recipient is charged for)? Does it require the connivance of the mobile phone service provider?

Talk to your network provider who can block this kind of crap and prevent it from happening again...

If you reply STOP they have to stop, this is what i do and they do stop straight away.

If you reply STOP they have to stop, this is what i do and they do stop straight away.

I wouldn't do that personally, they then know they have hit a valid number and sell the number on to other idiot spammers.

As above, best bet is report them to the ant spam service of your network operator.

They already know the number works as they're getting £1.50 a pop from it!

How do they get paid £1.50 a pop by sending out text messages?

Subscriptions to "value added services", the shortcodes you see advertised everywhere. You'll be charged an amount, some or all of which gets passed onto the supplier, often via an aggregator.

There are various regulations regarding subscription and so on, but there are so many different services and content providers out there it can be hard for the networks to keep up - which is where unscrupulous suppliers can try to scam the system.

By contacting your network provider they can ensure you have to confirm you want these , or others in the future , before they provide the service..that's why it's better than just sending STOP ..

You should try sending 'stop' first.
Anyone who provides a 'reverse charge' premium rate service has to provide this as an opt out, otherwise they are breaking the conditions of the short dial provision.
If for some reason that doesn't work, then the network provider should get involved.

Like someone has said above. If you reply STOP to spam messages you will receive dozens more. This case is a bit different as you are being charged for receiving the texts. But for the PPI and Insurance claim ones, do not text stop and send it to the spam number provided by your network. Usually 7726. Don't forgot to include the number.

Reverse charge messages aren't spam. You have to opt in. That is the only way you can be billed (unless there is a real fraud going on here). Typical reverse charge ones are ringtones/adult content.
If this is the case then you should text 'stop' otherwise you may not get any refund up to this point.

Spam text messages are a different kettle of fish. I wouldn't expect them to be on a shortcode, but a longdial number. (typically the PPI ones we seem to be getting) Don't reply to them.

Well the Injury and PPI text spam i got all stopped when i sent STOP back, not saying anybody else is incorrect, just my experience.

There's nothing consistent about these cowboys . That's the trouble really. I simply ignored them and they didnt resend anything. The ppi texts etc aren't the same thing theOP was talking about though .. But sometimes u r damned if you do and damned if u don't...

Update -guess what arrived in the post today ? A cheque for £13.50 . It does pay to complain and be persistent ! I have learnt that the Regulator told the company to put its house in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom