Unwanted phone calls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickcc101

Car
2001 S203 C180 auto estate (sold)
For the last couple of weeks we have been getting a daily phone call from a company called Fresh start offering loans and mortgages, this only started after a local (truro) based company, also offering loans and mortgages, was told to never call again. We are registered for the BT preferential phone service where calls of this nature should be blocked but this doesn't work in this case. As the call is always a recorded message we are unable to tell the caller to go away, has anyone else had this annoying problem and if so how did you stop it.
Thanks

If you are being called at home, then it is an illegal/nuisance call.
Remind them of this next call (I have) and that is possibly enough.
Report it to the police as a nuisance call and they will trace the number and prosecute where appropriate.

Alternatively, buy loud pea whistle and blast away....

The present TPS is a joke. For one afaik it can't stop calls emanating from foreign call centres. There's no technical reason for this but then BT would lose revenue wouldn't they? As far as I know begging in the street is still illegal and I put these calls in basically the same category.
# BT offer certain facilities-at extra cost naturally--- chose to refuse[ allows you to ban certain numbers from calling £3.35 a month] anonymous call reject [ won't allow callers withholding their number to connect--however if they do give their number they can!!!] £4 a month.
Unfortunately the tele marketing people are wise to this and constantly rotate their numbers or release some 0800 number in order to circumvent the block. Remember also that when you went into some business relationship in the past with say a utilities company[ electric or gas] you may have unwittingly given permission for that company or its subsidiaries or partners!!!! to contact you-with details of products and services they offer that may be of interest to you if this is the case the TPS can't act to ban the call.
Best solution get an answering machine with caller display and never directly answer any numbers you don't know- if its an urgent call the person will leave a message anyway..That way most marketing calls automatically ring off when they receive a recorded message.

Last edited:
Are you registered with the Telephone Preference Service (different from BT I'm sure)

TPS Registration

Are the numbers coming from the UK or international ? Unscuplious hard sell companys route the call through somehere like Gibralta then back into the UK, this not having to abide by Ofcom/TPS rules.

Might be worth answering the call, asking the attendants name, advise you are on the preference list and any further unwanted intrusion will be reported.

Be very careful about the whistle blowing too, I work in the contact centre world, and even though the phone systems are designed to detect the extreme volume and block if the caller is on a home phone or similar and you damage their hearing, I've seen case go to the police for assault! - daft I know but it has happened.

Tony

I was in a similar situation a while back and bought a unit called "True Call".

Cost me £90 and was worth every penny. Not only can you blacklist numbers, you can do all sorts of fancy things with it.

M.

Be very careful about the whistle blowing too, I work in the contact centre world, and even though the phone systems are designed to detect the extreme volume and block if the caller is on a home phone or similar and you damage their hearing, I've seen case go to the police for assault! - daft I know but it has happened.

Tony

Didn't know about that! At least they would have to identify themselves, and assuming they were the genuine nuisance... But I see the capacity for error!

In truth, it's an old trick to get rid of pervs making obscene calls.

Tony

They could only prosecute if they could identify the person on the other end, if you don't speak then they couldn't say who did it.

My personal revenge is to tell them they need to ring my wife/brother/father/boss on their mobile - then give them the number for an old pre-pay handset which we never answer.

Then see how many missed calls it shows each month - aiming to score more the next month!

Guess I should really get an 0898 number, then I can make some money!

We are ex-directory and registered with TPS and still receive cold marketing calls at home :(

If you are being called at home, then it is an illegal/nuisance call.
Remind them of this next call (I have) and that is possibly enough.
Report it to the police as a nuisance call and they will trace the number and prosecute where appropriate.

Alternatively, buy loud pea whistle and blast away....
I'm afraid that you would probably be under-whelmed by the Police's lack of interest.

We are ex-directory and registered with TPS and still receive cold marketing calls at home :(
So are we. Sneaky sods still slither through though. One of the problem is that the call is a recorded message and gives you a freephone number to call (0800) didn't want to risk ringing in case this led to even more calls. Many thanks for all the advice.

Last edited:
The best advice was already given. You can't control who calls you, but you can control what you answer. Just make sure you have caller display and an answer phone and simply ignore any number you don't recognise. You'll soon know if it's important or real because the caller will leave a message in which case just answer the phone then and speak to them. Simples :)

My panasonic house phone allows you to block numbers on the actual handset without paying a subscription..

Or as the joke goes.

"I'm so glad you called today. Tell me, have you accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your saviour......"

....Remember also that when you went into some business relationship in the past with say a utilities company[ electric or gas] you may have unwittingly given permission for that company or its subsidiaries or partners!!!!...

'Carefully selected third-party' :mad:

I normally ask if they can hold on a moment. It's up to them after that, but I just carry on with what I was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom