Unwitting motorists face £1,000 fines as thousands of photocard driving licences expi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the DVLA website

"
Renewing your photo

With a renewal application
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will send you a renewal application pack two months before your photo is due to expire. You’ll need to:
  • complete the enclosed form
  • include a new passport type photo of yourself that’s been taken within the last month (you don’t need the back of the photo signed)
  • return both parts of your driving licence photocard and counterpart document
  • enclose a cheque or postal order for £17.50 (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over
  • send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DH"
Seems you get 2 months notice to renew the photo.

You need both parts to be valid. The paper part is not valid without the photo part.

Erm, so I need to send my old license off and wait for a new one? That isn't an option for me - I hire cars almost every week, I drive in many foreign countries, and I need to have my license with me. Is there not an option for them to send the new one and get the old one in return?

-simon

Erm, so I need to send my old license off and wait for a new one? That isn't an option for me - I hire cars almost every week, I drive in many foreign countries, and I need to have my license with me. Is there not an option for them to send the new one and get the old one in return?

-simon

In this case why not look at the process for if you lose your licence? That might be a workaround. You can then send your original back when you've got the replacement.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022085

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom