Update on my rattles - Inspection Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

@MARK

Car
Audi A7 Quattro
So today was the day that Mercedes-Benz UK came out to "inspect" my car.

I went for a good long drive with Dean from MBUK and indeed he confirmed that yes he could clearly hear the rattles that I was referring to :bannana:

I went with a good long drive with Andy (Dealer Principal) and he too confirmed that yes he could clearly hear the rattles that I was referring to :bannana:

It was then pointed out that we have seen other C-Class cars that rattle more than mine. Dean (from MBUK) pointed out that the C-Class that he drove across from Milton Keynes in today had more rattles than mine :eek:

So MBUK have stated their official position as follows:

Whilst they accept that there are rattles coming from the centre console area of my car that appear to be plastic on plastic, relative to other C-Class cars, my rattle is fairly quiet so in their opinion ACCEPTABLE.

Indeed they went on to say that it is to be expected that all Mercedes Benz cars may demonstrate trim against trim noises under certain conditions as it is impossible to build a silent car!

Please take what you want to away from that statement

Time to give this up as a 'Bad Job' me finks!

Sell it on and move on!

Your sanity and health are far more important than pursuing this IMHO

Really feel for you on this. :(

However, and as has been suggested on your earlier thread, perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and strip the console yourself or take it to the people that install COMAND and get them to do it. Not an ideal solution, but maybe it's just a case of getting the car to how you want it, then come car-change time, moving onto another brand. Either way, it's a sh!tty position you're in.

An amazing statement from MB, but not a total surprise. They clearly know there's a quality issue with their cars and are just covering themselves to avoid rejections or potentially costly warranty repairs from other rattle sufferers.

I agree with ghibbett. If it was my car I'd try to get an expert to fix the rattle problem and then attempt to recover the cost from MB...

It was then pointed out that we have seen other C-Class cars that rattle more than mine. Dean (from MBUK) pointed out that the C-Class that he drove across from Milton Keynes in today had more rattles than mine :eek:

So MBUK have stated their official position as follows:

Whilst they accept that there are rattles coming from the centre console area of my car that appear to be plastic on plastic, relative to other C-Class cars, my rattle is fairly quiet so in their opinion ACCEPTABLE.

Indeed they went on to say that it is to be expected that all Mercedes Benz cars may demonstrate trim against trim noises under certain conditions as it is impossible to build a silent car!

That's such big company corporate sh*t.

Disgraceful.

The problem is, Mark has posted this all over the net, if they give in to him now they will set a precedent, and that is the last thing they want.

Every laywer in the land mentioning the case of "Mercedes UK Vs @Mark" in court.

I know why you did it, but just couldn't see you ever getting a result once you had, not after you posted all that stuff online, it was never going to happen.

I think if it annoyed me that much I would sell it on. There are plenty of buyers out there who won't notice the difference.

Just to add to my earlier comment, if you do decide to strip the centre stack out yourself, PM me your address and I will send you some anti-squeak tape to place between the touching materials. She'll be quiet as a mouse after this!

I'd still like to hear how bad the car actually is before deciding whether MB are being unreasonable. Any chance of posting a recording of it taken with the device at ear-height, OP?

I'd still like to hear how bad the car actually is before deciding whether MB are being unreasonable. Any chance of posting a recording of it taken with the device at ear-height, OP?

That doesn't even work....the other day I saw an online video of a guy driving an F30 3 series in manual mode.....on the video there were what seemed like really loud 'clicks' on every gear change from the paddles....anyone who has driven one notices the clicks but nowhere near like they come out on video. Listening to the video clicks you would never buy the car.

Point is.....the mic on a recording device can really single out some frequencies that the human ear would hardly notice.

Whilst having my E class serviced today I was told by my dealer about a new C class they had in with rattles. It has taken them over 5 hours to strip out the complete dash and they are still not sure whare they are coming from. They think the heater unit is the culprit but have not identified where and how yet. They told me this wasn't the first issue they have had with rattly C classes.

He's done this on the other thread - it's not good.

Regardless, the dealer comments are a poor show.

Mine doesn't rattle- does yours?

He's done this on the other thread - it's not good.

Regardless, the dealer comments are a poor show.

Mine doesn't rattle- does yours?

Maybe if the OP travelled in your car he'd notice rattles that you hadn't. The point is we're not getting an objective view here - just one side of the story. I think those denouncing MB on that basis are not being very evenhanded.

Maybe if the OP travelled in your car he'd notice rattles that you hadn't. The point is we're not getting an objective view here - just one side of the story. I think those denouncing MB on that basis are not being very evenhanded.

But does your rattle?

But does your rattle?

No. The roof creaks a bit from cold, but it stops doing so once the car's interior has warmed up, and as I usually have the wireless on anyway I don't really notice it. Besides, 90% of the time the roof's tucked away in the boot.

Besides, 90% of the time the roof's tucked away in the boot.

Probably a bit more awkward on a C class estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom