Update to Sat Nav in 2014 Vito

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamal1970

Car
MB Vito, Audi A3
Hi
I'll shortly be the owner of a 2014 W639 Vito and I'll be wanting to upgrade the standard head unit to include nav. Pretty sure it's the older audio 20 head unit I'm starting out with - see first image). I've searched the forums and struggling to get a full grip of issues, so have a few questions. If anyone can answer I'd be most grateful.

I'd like to keep it genuine and my steering controls working. So I'm considering something like the second image. Can someone confirm my understanding please?

The new unit will work with steering controls but may need a special loom.

I should be looking for an item with a code and anyone offering plug and play without one has butchered it.

Will there be a need to code the newer unit?

If I go for a newer aftermarket unit, can I still get steering controls working?

Thanks in advance for any reply
Adam

Attachments

• s-l200 (2).jpg
    s-l200 (2).jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l200.jpg
    s-l200.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 7
Audio10, Audio15, and Audio20 are generic names used to denote the entry-level infotainment system, but there have been various different models over the years, so it's important to identify the system correctly. Best thing is to run the VIN in an online VIN decoder and check the unit's code on the Datacard.

Then, the photo on the left is (I think) COMAND NTG2 and the photo on the right is (I think) COMAND NTG2.5. I don't know if these can be retrofitted to your Vito. But in any event, these are outdated systems that will no longer have maps update, and will not have advanced features such as live traffic.

Some MB cars of the era had pre-wiring for Becker Map Pilot navigation box, if your car has this option fitted then there will be a bracket for it somewhere in the car (typically inside the glove compartment), and it will also be listed in the Datacard. The Becker unit does not have live traffic, but the maps update are current and still available for purchase. They can be purchased new or used from Amazon and eBay (if your car has the bracket and pre-wiring).

Of course you can also just use Waze or Google Maps on your mobile phone, or via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto if there's an aftermarket kit for your car.

The people who will know what's possible and can also quote for any upgrades are [email protected], email your VIN to them and they'll get back to you with the available options.

Thanks for your response - really helpful. I've already made contact with those guys and will definitely be doing as you suggest. This is really about determining which route is best for - i.e. aftermarket vs mb but I'd really like the steering controls to continue to work. I think you've persuaded me of the aftermarket route although I will check the glove box and data card for the Becker thing as this is quite a late model of the older shape.

If that is there will it effectively add to the existing unit or will I still be looking at a new head unit as well as the Becker unit (apologies still getting my head around this).

Thanks once again
Adam

This could be fitted and working in 5 minutes. You would lose nothing but gain lots.
Steering controls, dimming from lights at night all automatic through the canbus, as would be reverse cam if fitted.

Siting the GPS antenna, below the document tray, would take another 15 minutes.
Adding a dash cam, if desired, about 1 hour.
Adding the reverse cam, if desired, a couple of hours. As I don't favour the wireless set ups.

Last edited:
That sounds an impressive unit and a no brainer compared to some prices I've seen for old MB units. I think I'm sold on aftermarket based on this.

You mention dashcam which is on my list and this makes it look easier than going to the fuse box (which is what I have usually done with my previous fitments).

Thanks very much for your reply.

Adam

There are a fair few threads on these already.

Dash cam would need a usb extension up to o/s of windscreen. Stick the camera on the screen, plug it in the usb and that's it. Aside from downloading the cams app, that's usually embedded in itself somehow.
Mount it tooo close to the rear view mirror and the FM reception would be poor (that,s where the antenna amp is).

Getting a unit with superior screen spec will make a difference as the Vito suffers from reflective glare on bright days and makes the screen difficult to see.

Fitting is as easy as a wide scraper to pop the surround, and a torx driver for the 4 screws.
These units come with correct iso plugs and adapters normally.

Don't buy spec less than Octo core and 4 gig of ram. The lesser spec would be frustrating.
The internal memory is big enough as more stuff in it makes stuff harder to find.

For initial set up connecting wi-fi to your house is better to download bigger files (Tom Tom maps for example, and same for later updates sometimes.
Otherwise tether it to your phone and you have live traffic and google whatever.

You remind me to sell my Merc Comand unit I removed from the 2014 Viano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom