update ;- which one to belie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Fixit

Car
2012 SLK55 AMG
so checking the speedo etc this is what appears to be happening

The speedo is displaying MPH but the computer 'thinks' this is KPH
The digital display is displaying the correct MPH for the KPH calculation so at an indicated 80mph (and I think correct) on the speedo the MPH digital display says 50mph but this is actually the correct conversation to KPH from 80PMH

Does anybody know how the speed is 'sensed' as I wonder if this is possibly wired the wrong way round
Is it possible that the original 160mph speedo is wired differently

FYI I bought an AMG speedo but this could not be coded to the car so if there are any coding guru's who can help please let me know

Got to be a coding issue..
Why couldn't the AMG speedo not be coded to your AMG?

IMHO you need to contact the guys at Comand.co.uk

So let me get this right..The analogue part of your speedo (the needle bit with the printed dial) is in KM/H and the digital one in the screen between the gauges reads MPH on its display ?

You bought an AMG speedo that could not be made to work ?

The build sheet should read 461 'instrument with mileage reading'

Is the car a Jap import ?

Last edited:
^ I have explained to the OP that the car had a 200mph speedo retro fitted before I owned the car. The oil level wasn't showing and had to be programmed with Star back on to the cluster. The digital reading also needs Star to reset it to the correct reading. Whoever coded the speedo to the car didn't do everything correctly.
The datacard does read option 461, but as the speedo was changed this is irrelevent now.
The needle is correct (checked with a Tom Tom when I first bought the car) and I really can't understand the fuss being made over the analogue reading nobody takes any notice of.

Edit.... To add to the confusion, here are a couple of photos taken of the speedo. One when I bought the car, shown by the datestamp and mileage, the second taken 13k miles later
The first shows kph at the bottom, the second its mph but obviously wrong.

I haven't a clue what has happened but recoding with Star should fix it.
7Jm9qfl.jpg 8nDCTUX.jpg

Last edited:
OK, now I understand. You have removed the original 2005 C55 AMG instrument gauges and replaced them with newer ones. From what model AMG ?

The C55 comes stock with a 200mph, 6500rpm red line instrument cluster.

Its just coding that's wrong here ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom