Updated Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rlowy

Car
W212 E63
Had my car in for its 60,000 mile service today and attention to a rattle in the panoramic roof, MB Tonbridge asked for two days with a loan car. The loan was a brand new E320 CDi with 600 miles on the clock and fitted with the latest Comand.

The Comand is a big improvement on the old system on a number of fronts in my view.

Radio.

5 live and medium wave much better reception, excellent graphical interface, sound quality very good.

Navigation.

Improved graphics, better mapping, different views, can use contact addresses in phonebook to navigate to, very fast and easier to locate destination....did not try post code though will do tomorrow!

Phone.

Much better. Excellent bluetooth integration and operation of phone (HTC S740) via comand, full contact details uploaded from phone and accessible. My phone does not work smoothly with MB HFP cradle in my present car, not sure why, any suggestions? I thought it was the phone but now realise it's not.

The latest car also has a UHI connector in the arm rest box.

Linguatronic.

Fantastic, operated navigation and telephone flawlessly and Radio OK. Vast improvement on the W210 E55 Linguatronic.

All round very impressed. I appreciate some of these things are in the new C class but this was my first experience.

So the question to you good people at Comand on line, is this unit available for a retro fit into a W211 2004 (54 plate) is it a plug and play change or a major surgery and what's the cost?

Regards

Richard

Had my car in for its 60,000 mile service today and attention to a rattle in the panoramic roof, MB Tonbridge asked for two days with a loan car. The loan was a brand new E320 CDi with 600 miles on the clock and fitted with the latest Comand.

The Comand is a big improvement on the old system on a number of fronts in my view.

Radio.

5 live and medium wave much better reception, excellent graphical interface, sound quality very good.

Navigation.

Improved graphics, better mapping, different views, can use contact addresses in phonebook to navigate to, very fast and easier to locate destination....did not try post code though will do tomorrow!

Phone.

Much better. Excellent bluetooth integration and operation of phone (HTC S740) via comand, full contact details uploaded from phone and accessible. My phone does not work smoothly with MB HFP cradle in my present car, not sure why, any suggestions? I thought it was the phone but now realise it's not.

The latest car also has a UHI connector in the arm rest box.

Linguatronic.

Fantastic, operated navigation and telephone flawlessly and Radio OK. Vast improvement on the W210 E55 Linguatronic.

All round very impressed. I appreciate some of these things are in the new C class but this was my first experience.

So the question to you good people at Comand on line, is this unit available for a retro fit into a W211 2004 (54 plate) is it a plug and play change or a major surgery and what's the cost?

Regards

Richard

UHI is an optional extra on these cars.

Navigation at longlast has 7 digit postcode input. that will please masses of people.

Yes it can be retrofitted to a pre MY2009 W211 but its not a straight plug and play.

Thanks for the reply, post code entry is a vast improvement but is way out of date. My business has been at a postcode, newly created in July 2004 and it’s not in the system which is a staggering short coming as it is in an £80 Tomtom!

What sort of cost would be involved to upgrade?

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the reply, post code entry is a vast improvement but is way out of date. My business has been at a postcode, newly created in July 2004 and it’s not in the system which is a staggering short coming as it is in an £80 Tomtom!

And there in my view is the achilles heal of COMAND.

You are paying £2000 + for a unit that looks nice, interfaces really well....but when push comes to shove an £80 device from Halfords operates better.

You're paying a premium for something to look nice and that's about it.

Don't get me wrong, I like COMAND but it's unforgiveable it doesn't operate to a decent standard.

I'm in a building that COMAND can't find, actually Garmin can't find it either, but Tom Tom brings people straight to my door.....it was built in the 40's so they've had a few years to find it.

UHI is an optional extra on these cars.

Navigation at longlast has 7 digit postcode input. that will please masses of people.

Yes it can be retrofitted to a pre MY2009 W211 but its not a straight plug and play.

How much would a retrofit cost to a MY2008 W211?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom