Updating Maps on NTG4 stops at 94percent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronny22

Car
2007 C220 SPORT CDI
Hi Guys,

I have a C-class 57 Reg CDI W204

I tried updating my maps, I have bought a copy of the 2016 map updates (the latest one that's out), I had Maps from 2007 already in the car when I bought it and thought I should now update it as I see myself always traveling across the country for work.

I stuck the 1st disk in it got to 86% and popped up a message asking for the 2nd disk to be inserted, I then inserted the 2nd Disk it got up to 94% and popped up a message saying

"Map Update Not Possible Ejecting Disk Please refer to Owners Manual"

I am so confused, why is it doing that, Does anyone have any idea or advise please
I heavily depend on my navigation

regards

Ronny

Hi Guys,

I tried updating my maps, I have bought a copy of the 2016 map updates (the latest one that's out), I had Maps from 2007 already in the car when I bought it and thought I should now update it as I see myself always traveling across the country for work.

I stuck the 1st disk in it got to 86% and popped up a message asking for the 2nd disk to be inserted, I then inserted the 2nd Disk it got up to 94% and popped up a message saying

I am so confused, why is it doing that, Does anyone have any idea or advise please

regards

Ronny

What is part number of the map disk set you are using?
Is it a genuine set or a copy ?

Richard

What is part number of the map disk set you are using?
Is it a genuine set or a copy ?

Richard

Hi Richard, am not that computer literate the disk looked genuine since the front part of the disk had a picture matted on just like any other DVD you buy from the shop, my younger brother who is Computer Literate and uni student knows all these techy stuff and said they are fake as he had shown me the back of the disk and the blue rings or something to prove they have been copied.

I got one of my work colleague to order this disk for me as he claimed he can get it cheaper. I didn't know its gonna be fake.

So whats your suggestion than, is it possible i can get my original maps back or from what iv read online some people say i might need a firmware update
what ever that maybe.

When i stuck the disk in the first time, it didn't ask for a firmware update it started working soo im confused there.

please help

Hi

Well, at least it didn't fail during the initial firmware update and the system isn't stuck in a "reboot" cycle.

Get proper maps. Current version is 2015/2016 and not 2016. There is a small chance you need new firmware but most likely not (although if you have 2007 firmware, an update may be sensible). Talk to Alfie on [email protected]

Cheers

Richard

Hi Guys,

regards

Ronny

Ive got a genuine 2014/15 map disc for sale if you'd like to make on offer on.

Similar situation as me. Got to about 90% on second disk and it wouldn't go any further no matter what I tried.
Paid main dealer a visit who connected up to star to force a reinstall using genuine disks.
All good in a couple of hours, with 2015 disks cost me £115.
These so called genuine disks purchased from eBay looked cosher but weren't.

You're lucky - reading online, many who have tried updating their Comand with non-genuine DVD's have ended up with a bricked Comand and a massive bill to replace it!

I have used copy discs for the last 3 updates and have had no problems just remember to either have the car running on put a battery charger on, As if the battery gets too low it will shut down the command unit and then that could be expensive.

Mate take my advice! Get it done right! Speak to command Richard or Alfie.

As it will work out very expensive if it goes wrong!

You have all ready wasted x amount

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With genuine DVD's, if Comand shuts down part way through it will resume from the same place when you power back up. This happened to me the first time I updated my NTG4. Then I continued leaving the engine running on the driveway, realised how long it would take (2 1/4 hours total!) so connected my battery charger (engine running to avoid possibility of voltage spike), switched the engine off then ignition back on and left the update running. About 1 3/4 hours for DVD1, 1/2 hour for DVD2. Used the same method second time I updated, worked fine.

The joy of NTG4 compared to 4.5 is that the DVD's can be reused, no PIN required, so there's no benefit in buying "backup" or copied DVD's instead of second user genuine DVD's.

As long as the 'genuine' disks really are genuine. The ones I bought purported to be but obviously weren't. They looked totally genuine, but once the second disk was inserted, went belly up.
I guess you get what you pay for.

As long as the 'genuine' disks really are genuine. The ones I bought purported to be but obviously weren't. They looked totally genuine, but once the second disk was inserted, went belly up.
I guess you get what you pay for.

cowley did you pay 115 pounds for the latest Map update

cause i rang my dealer and they say its only 100 quid for the disks
but i dont know if they will do a star install for me they told me on the phone that i do it myself

My command had crashed effectively so they had to force a reinstall using command.
I guess there was an element of labour in the cost.
I won't be doing it myself ever again seeing as the main dealer only charged for the disks and a tiny amount of labour.
Not worth bricking the command

Hi. Cowley did Mercedes main dealer in Oxford sell you satnav update for £115? I have been quoted 180 just for the disk for my 2008 w204 by main dealer in Cov.

Hi. Cowley did Mercedes main dealer in Oxford sell you satnav update for £115? I have been quoted 180 just for the disk for my 2008 w204 by main dealer in Cov.

Jesus that sounds expensive.

They're £100 from my local dealer.

They did first quote 100then later 180. Comandonline also quoted 180. I would just buy 2nd hand genuine off ebay, but worried about firmware levels.

My command had crashed effectively so they had to force a reinstall using command.
I guess there was an element of labour in the cost.
I won't be doing it myself ever again seeing as the main dealer only charged for the disks and a tiny amount of labour.
Not worth bricking the command

Mine hasn't bricked or anything you can still go onto the radio and phone and cd etc... just when you go onto the nav it just says insert navigation disk 1
since its failed from the second fake disk it resorted back to the beginning and now asking for navigation disk 1

did you get that problem?
should i just buy the genuine disks and try it out
and how long did it take for them to do the star reinstall for you
should i mention my probem and see f they will do a star diagnosis for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom