Updating stereo in 05 w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ReefGeek

Car
W211 e270
Hi MB lovers.
I have a 05 E270 avantgarde estate with standard radio/cd player.
I was looking at updating this as I want all mod coms with sat nav, hands free calls, blue tooth e.t.c e.t.c.
However I'mon a tight budget of £500 total so was looking at this cheap chinese ebay one...

Android 6.0.1 Car Stereo GPS For Mercedes BENZ E/CLS/G Class W211 W219 W463 DAB+

But then done some googling and read about people losing thiet fibre optics, losing speakers, having to rip parts of car out to get wires to the boot or having to reolace amps and stuff.
I'mnot a technical person so this all put me off. Is this all true or some of it?
Is there a simple plug and play up to date stereo for my budget I could get? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

If you don't have an amp on your fibre optic network, the only change is you will lose your CDC and UHI (telephone pre-wire), which you won't need anymore anyway.

For your budget you can get the new stereo (or head unit) installed professionally.

I just bought and fitted myself (no budget for a pro install), a model-specific 9" unit from the same eBay seller (Erisin), and so far have no complaints - all my questions (and there were a lot) answered quickly, it was pretty straightforward to install, everything works, including all the steering wheel controls.

Will spend next week customising it (they sent me factory setup password - very nice of them) - startup logo, fade outs, etc etc.

As with any Chinese own brand units, the quality could be hit and miss, so I went for a non-DVD version - just one less thing to go wrong, no moving parts, half the [inner] size - better cooling, and largest possible screen to fill the entire space of the Audio-20 on my car.

Oh so if I find an amp in my boot that means its a fibre optic set up, at which ill need to run an extension wire from new stereo to boot?
If there's no AMP in boot it means its a strait forward swap over with no wires needing to be run the length of the car?

Last edited:
The unit in the 'boot' is the navigation gateway processing unit which is (I think) combined with an audio amplifier. It does have a fibre optic connection and is where the GPS antenna connects. I think you need some sort of special cable installed between the unit at the rear and your head unit. Consult comandonline, they usually have all the answers.

Oh so if I find an amp in my boot that means its a fibre optic set up, at which ill need to run an extension wire from new stereo to boot?

You can check your MOST components, based on your VIN, no need to take the trim off to find out.

Here's mine (no amp):

35361641094_29143eaf71_o.png

Ok this is what I've found in the back. Have no idea what I'm looking at but guess thats a fuse box on right and that empty cage on left is where an amp could go? But I don't need one so wouldn't need to run one?

Last edited:
sfxq8p.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh

Last edited:
attachment.php

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1503408994263.jpg
    FB_IMG_1503408994263.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 21
The empty cage is normally where the navigation processor/gateway is installed. Yours is obviously not there, but this is probably because of your 'standard radio/CD player, which didn't need one. You can probably do the new install just by replacing the old head unit, but still best to check with the boys at comandonline, who are very helpful.

Where do I get this mercedes virtual pc program?
You can check your MOST components, based on your VIN, no need to take the trim off to find out.

Here's mine (no amp):

35361641094_29143eaf71_o.png

The empty cage is normally where the navigation processor/gateway is installed. Yours is obviously not there, but this is probably because of your 'standard radio/CD player, which didn't need one. You can probably do the new install just by replacing the old head unit, but still best to check with the boys at comandonline, who are very helpful.

Oh that all sounds good. Ill contact them.

Where do I get this mercedes virtual pc program?

Plenty on eBay (just search for Mercedes EPC WIS ASRA), but the quality and reliability could be hit and miss. The seller I bought mine from, is no longer there.

If you email me your VIN, I can check it for you - that's what I meant when I posted the above :rolleyes:

Got it. You can delete it from the post now

OK, so there are only two components on your MOST network - the Audio 20 and the CD changer.

You can go ahead with aftermarket unit, with no complications at all.

Here is a couple of screenshots, and also your car's Datacard (I removed the second part of your VIN for privacy). Mods can delete it from your post above.

If you click on the yellow bar on top of each image, you'll get a full resolution one to download.

Datacard:

36359619200_f5c66d38f7_o.jpg

MOST network:

35921696944_88a2c49b56_o.png

Audio 20 & CDC:

36359619630_ef040b1a53_o.png

Speakers:

36359620140_7028a5b723_o.png

:thumb:

PS Apologies for the size of the datacard file - direct conversion from pdf @ 300dpi

Wow thats fantastic. Thank you so much for that.
I will now go about looking at which head unit to get.
Comandonline have been helping me via email too so might see if they can supply me with a half decent one for my tight budget.

Mods, can you please remover my VIN above please. Thank you.

Cool, glad to be able to help.

You absolutely can't go wrong with Comandonline :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom