Updating (upgrading?) iPhone 4s problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baxlin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skoda Octavia and JZR 3 wheeler
Against my better judgment I was persuaded to install ISO 7 or whatever the upgrade is called onto my 4s.

I also bought more storage.

Now the thing needs charging every five minutes! For instance, 100% charged last night about 11pm, this morning down to 3%, with no usage during the night.

It's rendered the phone nigh on useless, so does anyone know what have I done wrong, and what can I do to cure it - polite replies please!!

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

Against my better judgment I was persuaded to install ISO 7 or whatever the upgrade is called onto my 4s.

I also bought more storage.

Now the thing needs charging every five minutes! For instance, 100% charged last night about 11pm, this morning down to 3%, with no usage during the night.

It's rendered the phone nigh on useless, so does anyone know what have I done wrong, and what can I do to cure it - polite replies please!!

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

sounds like you have an app running in the background. If you double click the 'home' button at the botom of the phone you will see all the apps that are running. swipe them upwards and they will end. Alternatively just completely power cycle the phone.

Its a good idea to terminate all running apps periodically as they just eat battery power.

Have you ever replaced the battery?
Mine ran out of steam after 2 yrs , cheap and easy to do

Thanks, Alfie, I had closed all the apps yesterday evening, I had 20-odd running, but only one or two running overnight.

Can you explain "power cycle the phone", please, if that's something other than switching it off?

And thanks, Paul, the phone's less than 2yrs old, but I'll look into replacing the battery, as the phone gets a lot of use!!

Malcolm

Last edited:
Hold down the home and power buttons until the apple logo appears this resets the phone, no data/settings are changed.

Install 7.1 (now released)

Check that you do not have > Settings > general > background app refresh > set to ON.

If On your phone is continually scanning your apps. A battery killer.

Turn off PUSH in your mail and upload mail manually or at timed intervals.

Set Auto Brightness to off.

Update

Spoken to Vodafone (Apple want £25 to open a tech discussion!), battery NOT replaceable on the 4s, battery drain from iOS7 is a known thing, there's no "uninstall" option, and I'm stuck with it until I can upgrade in July!

I have made all the battery saving adjustments, thanks for the heads-ups, and will see if it improves things.

Only other thought is to reclaim my old 4 from my grandson, who is using it as with no SIM card as an iPod, and transfer my SIM card. But could I rob my 10 year old grandson??? No way!

Hey Ho

Malcolm

Last edited:
Try re installing. Plug into iTunes and do a complete factory reset / re install. Might remove a bug on the os. It shouldn't be doing that. Be sure to backup first! Good luck!

The phone should not be draining at the rate you describe. Unless it is either faulty (unlikely as it was fine before) or IOS 7 is configured with all the battery killers (as per previous posts)

IOS 7 is not a battery killer. 7.1 released last week is even better on battery life and much quicker.

Push mail
Location Services
Screen Brightness on auto
App Refresh
App running in background

These are the biggest killers.

Does the phone get hot to touch? That is a sure sign that it is running something in the background or you have dropped it in the fire.

The phone should not be draining at the rate you describe. Unless it is either faulty (unlikely as it was fine before) or IOS 7 is configured with all the battery killers (as per previous posts)

IOS 7 is not a battery killer. 7.1 released last week is even better on battery life and much quicker.

Push mail
Location Services
Screen Brightness on auto
App Refresh
App running in background

These are the biggest killers.

Does the phone get hot to touch? That is a sure sign that it is running something in the background or you have dropped it in the fire.

Yes, it was getting hot to the touch, not so much now though, I've closed a lot of the "battery killers", hopefully that'll do it.

"why are you putting that question on a Mercedes CAR forum" said Mrs Baxlin this morning

"because I know I'll get some answers" says I

Thanks so much, folks!

"why are you putting that question on a Mercedes CAR forum" said Mrs Baxlin this morning

"because I know I'll get some answers" says I

There's probably somebody, right now, asking questions about their AMG on the Apple forum……. I wonder if they'll be as lucky :dk:

This forum truly is the repository of all wisdom :thumb:

Definitely something odd going on - sounds like a new battery needed. Running these things down to 5% or less on a regular basis trashes their life expectancy.

I use mine a lot and ended up acquiring one of these things http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/mophie-juice-pack-air-iphone-4

which gives pretty much a solid day's worth of yakking and data traffic....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Another battery killer is bluetooth (which is easily knocked on when swiping control centre up/down).

I've heard mixed reports about iOS 7.1 being better/worse for battery performance - but what's being described here does sound like something wider is awry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom