Upgrade comand aps 2.0 to ntg 2.5 in w251 with media interface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhjcamp

Car
R-Class, & R171
All,

I am upgrading the comand as I wanted to have some fun basically! I have justified it on 7 digit postcodes and the much, much better music integration etc.

Anyway, I have a problem I hope somebody (Richard pls!) can help me with.

I brought all the bits from comandonline.com, and I have a basic setup working but I have the following problems/questions:

I can't find an easy way to connect up the microphones for the hands free. The car was pre-wired and in the kit there is the long grey wire which we take up the A pillar and under the roof lining, but the microphones in the large roof cluster wiring does not match and it isn't obvious how to make this work? Is there any colour coding/pinouts or similar that I have missed?

I also assume that I have disconnected the old MOST network as I have now connected the UCI and COMAND directly. The old items, the AUDIO GATEWAY and PHONE I have read somewhere are redundant. Haven't checked all the features yet, but seems okay.

On the UCI the instructions on Richards site for a retrofit show a how to do this, but as I had a CD changer and the red/black wire was already connected to the comand block I have just reused the three CD connectors. Much easier and uses the CD changer fuse point.

Last but not least, I was looking at the Rear Seat Entertainment. I have created the appropriate wiring using the pinout on this site, but I assume that I need to turn on RSE/code?

As an aside, to make up the cd connector I used from maplin the 3 pin power connector used in PC's to drive floppy disks etc and for the extra spring pins to go into the 18 pin block I used the pins out of the 4 way power block, again for PC's.

Thanks for any help, and I will carry on looking!

Rob

If you bought a kit for car with phone pre-wire you would have a microphone extension cable. IIRC it doesnt run direct to the microphone in the OVP in the W211. Does it not come with fitting instructions?

You will need coding to turn on RSE.

All,

I am upgrading the comand as I wanted to have some fun basically! I have justified it on 7 digit postcodes and the much, much better music integration etc.

Anyway, I have a problem I hope somebody (Richard pls!) can help me with.

I brought all the bits from comandonline.com, and I have a basic setup working but I have the following problems/questions:

I can't find an easy way to connect up the microphones for the hands free. The car was pre-wired and in the kit there is the long grey wire which we take up the A pillar and under the roof lining, but the microphones in the large roof cluster wiring does not match and it isn't obvious how to make this work? Is there any colour coding/pinouts or similar that I have missed?

I also assume that I have disconnected the old MOST network as I have now connected the UCI and COMAND directly. The old items, the AUDIO GATEWAY and PHONE I have read somewhere are redundant. Haven't checked all the features yet, but seems okay.

On the UCI the instructions on Richards site for a retrofit show a how to do this, but as I had a CD changer and the red/black wire was already connected to the comand block I have just reused the three CD connectors. Much easier and uses the CD changer fuse point.

Last but not least, I was looking at the Rear Seat Entertainment. I have created the appropriate wiring using the pinout on this site, but I assume that I need to turn on RSE/code?

As an aside, to make up the cd connector I used from maplin the 3 pin power connector used in PC's to drive floppy disks etc and for the extra spring pins to go into the 18 pin block I used the pins out of the 4 way power block, again for PC's.

Thanks for any help, and I will carry on looking!

Rob

If you email us (comand online) we can send you the instructions.

I have assumed its the W251 R class not the R171 although you talk about AGW and in the W251 this isnt a separate component.

The microphone extension cable runs to the OHCP. In there if you root around you will find the microphone connector. It isnt connected directly to the OHCP but to one of the cables coming from it. Its usually on the right in the headlining with some foam insulation around it.

:doh: I dont know why I thought you had a W211, :confused:

Thank you all or such quick replies! I'll drop comand an email to get some instructions. I did my wife's SLK a couple of years ago, so yes this is the R-Class.

On the connection front, I have the OHCP, (think that is overhead central console), down and out. There is a microphone component consisting of three mics a circuit board with four connections, red, black, grey and cream. The red seems to have 12v. They connect to the larger board. I assume therefore from your post this is not the connection?

Leaving the larger OHCP there is a large flat ribbon cable, plus some larger wires that definitely look like power, and also a connector for the auto wipers etc. had a rummage around to see if the flat ribbon connector splits but couldn't see it as it disappears backwards towards the B pillar?

All done and working!

I was being a bit of an idiot! Found the mic connector, it was right in front of my eyes! I thought the mics were in the OHCP, but they are actually in the base of the mirror, so I was looking in the place for the wiring. Idiot!!!! Anyway all sorted and the wiring harnesses from comandonline all work excellently!!! Rob

Oh, and that three mic thing must be the alarm.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom