Upgrade from a manual slide-only sun roof.....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surf Blau

Car
1984 Mercedes-Benz 190D
Upgrade from a manual slide-only sun roof to.....?

My car is equipped with the manual slide-only sun roof - and boy is it manual!! MB didn't even have the courtesy to install some sort of mechanic workings to help open it up, I have to use both arms and almost crawl into the backseat to drag it fully open.. :confused:

What I would like to do is to upgrade to the later style slide and lift sun roof - complete assemblies can be had fairly cheap, so the cost is not a concern to me. What I am wondering is whether it is actually possible??

Had anyone here ever attempted something similar, or have knowledge on whether the roof-plates are different in any way? Judging from pictures of both assemblies I see no obvious differences - here, have a go:

Manual:
i-1.JPG

i-2.JPG

Electric:
i-1.JPG

i-1.JPG

Any help at all is appreciated - even the part numbers for the roof-plate if there are several (besides "with" and "without" sunroof of course :p )! Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Can be done, worst bit is connecting up motor.

Post more details when i get time. ;)

Originally posted by V12

Post more details when i get time. ;)

I know this is a stupid Q, but are you sure??? :eek: :eek: If so, you have just made me VERY happy!!!!:D :D ;)

And probably made Steve sour........:confused: :p

Please post any details you might have if you have the chance :)

Originally posted by V12
I do not agree with that...worst part MUST be getting the system in and the cable plus pipe to the rear of the car.....meaning that the inner liner has to be lowered AND THUS the rear window needs to be taken out (which already needs to be taken out on that car...damn...ow well, maybe we will give it a shot then).

greetingz,

Originally posted by MBenzNL
I do not agree with that...worst part MUST be getting the system in and the cable plus pipe to the rear of the car.....meaning that the inner liner has to be lowered AND THUS the rear window needs to be taken out (which already needs to be taken out on that car...damn...ow well, maybe we will give it a shot then).

greetingz,

JoooHOOOO!! :D

We'll talk by email :)

Spot on, that's exactly what i meant by 'connecting it up' it is an absolute nightmare to get that cable, in, but i did it on my last one.

Just after the car had its bare shell respray... ;)

Hmm - I think we will schedule that mod a little sooner than my last night in the Netherlands then (it seems all the hard mods are done late night on the day before I am bound to leave...) :D

V12; So everything should bolt on, but the cables will be a hassle? Thanks! :)

PS: On what car did you do this?

sven bastard

steve
I haven't a sunroof but i want mod a power glas sunroof :D :D
i got a oem glass sunroof can you help me with that mod?? ;)

Greetingz,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom