Upgrade from C63 non-S to S: what’s it worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iggu

Car
C63 AMG
Suppose you could swap a standard C63 w205 for the same model (same colour, same mileage, same year, same extras) but it would be an S.
Just curious - what would you be willing to pay (if anything) for that upgrade?

No. For me I can’t live with the sport seats. I have a back problem. My non S is perfect, and with GAD remap is already faster than the S model. I drove my pal’s S from Horsham to Southampton and back, and I was in agony after. Drove my car to the Lakes and was fine.

No. For me I can’t live with the sport seats. I have a back problem. My non S is perfect, and with GAD remap is already faster than the S model. I drove my pal’s S from Horsham to Southampton and back, and I was in agony after. Drove my car to the Lakes and was fine.
Very interesting. I've heard this several times now about the sports seats. Thanks for the input.

I can’t get along with the sports seats either, also agitates issues in my back, whereas standard seats are much better.

Back problems are very common, says my wife who is a recently retired GP. Let’s not go there 😉

There are a few other material differences between the S and the non S, which I’m sure most people are aware of, but I’ll outline them here just in case…

The big things are-

Larger front brake discs
Electronic rear differential
Race mode on the agility control
19” wheels as a necessity (front brake diameter)

There are a few interior dress up bits of red, and the sports seats, although you could optionally specify comfort seats if I remember correctly.

Personally I also prefer the standard Drexler differential over the electronic item, but that may be because I have a Drexler in my E46 M3 track car along with a 4.1:1 final drive. I love the speed of response of the Drexler at the limit. It responds soo quickly to throttle application and lift that it’s like the rear end attitude is hardwired directly into my right foot. The GKN viscolok the M3 originally had is a pretty good LSD, but compared to the Drexler it it so slow to respond it’s almost comical. The funny thing is, before I had the Drexler I thought it was just fine 🤣

Better the devil you know, I reckon.

If I was changing car it wouldn’t be to an S, assuming I didn’t have one. I’d rather stick with the car I know…

Personally speaking, I don’t think there’s enough difference to justify it, frankly I don’t explore the limits of race mode or the diff at all! I can’t imagine not having either would leave me wanting tbh.

The sports seats do take some getting used to, and I’m still not entirely convinced on them as they can be a literal pain in the **** on longer journeys!

Great input this. Especially as it looks like it’s gonna save me significant quids (which I will sink into my weekend pleasure car instead).
@Jobsworth I didn’t know the detail on the diff differences (!) to that extent. I’ve had my non-S on the limit at Oulton Park several times and the way it handles is a joy - but I thought/believed the S diff was an upgrade … you live and learn.

Great input this. Especially as it looks like it’s gonna save me significant quids (which I will sink into my weekend pleasure car instead).
@Jobsworth I didn’t know the detail on the diff differences (!) to that extent. I’ve had my non-S on the limit at Oulton Park several times and the way it handles is a joy - but I thought/believed the S diff was an upgrade … you live and learn.
If you are familiar with, and can handle a car at the limit, opposite lock etc then you can find the electronic differential a little annoying. Sure, it’s very good at what it does and works very well, but if you are experienced and expecting the predictable response of a mechanical LSD the electronic nanny deciding when and where it’s going to cut in can become frustrating

Very interesting. I've heard this several times now about the sports seats. Thanks for the input.
Not sure why everyone thinks the sports seats are so uncomfortable. The amount of adjustment available means I’ve never found them to be a problem. That is coming from someone with a credit line at his local chiropractor’s 😂

Suppose you could swap a standard C63 w205 for the same model (same colour, same mileage, same year, same extras) but it would be an S.
Just curious - what would you be willing to pay (if anything) for that upgrade?
i simply don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t buy an S in the first place (assuming money wasn’t an issue).

Personally speaking I’d feel shortchanged if I hadn’t stretched for mine. If I stay with Merc for the next car, it’ll be an E63S for certain, no downside as far as I can tell…..

Yes it does….

Can’t see why you wouldn’t have the S either.
So far the seats are the only significant divider of opinion. They are definitely not universally liked.
Problem is … I can’t take one on a 250 mile test drive to judge for myself …

For most people it is hard to tell the difference other than a sore back. I actually had sports bucket seats on two different AMGs and I think they were clearly not as comfortable but used to drive my cars to the max so often that the bucket seats served me very well indeed with very sharp cornering. I honestly don't drive my e63 anyway like I did the C. Frankly it's quite dull in comparison but far more composed vs the c which is simply the most fun car I've driven. I'm always thinking about swapping my 212E for a 205 c.

The interior trim in the s is slightly better ,but no one will notice this.

I personally think the bigger brake discs do make a difference but will cost more to replace no doubt. I also think the lsd on the c63s is great . I've driven both at mb brooklands doing lots of wet circle and straight slaloms and the s lsd is probably a tiny bit sharper though driving style will adapt to either car no doubt.
Finally engine mounts on the s are active and definitely helps keep the chassis more taught but conversely the ride on the s on 19 inch rims is certainly harsher. You can't get the s on 18 inch rims. So I think the non-s wins the comfort battle but the s wins on the handling and the mounts help the chassis which feels tighter.

Overall if I had the choice of any 205 c63, it would be a facelift S estate for practicality or the coupe. And then do an exhaust mod. The s is just a better car and I could notice when pushing it. The facelift with 9 stage traction control is for me is just the best toy for a kid that likes to make the car misbehave

Overall if you just want to enjoy the sound, want a bit more comfort, drive reasonably fast sometimes and not always be burning tyres coming out of an apex, the standard c is plenty good and you save plenty of money for something almost as good.

My 2pence re "why would you not buy an S" the S seats will be subjective what one finds harsh another wont. I've not sat in a C variant yet had 2 A45's with them, along with the firm suspension I found the ride harsh and wasn't always an enjoyable experience. Might be my lower back issue, might be a age thing or just a mindset that they don't want to crash about all over the place and would be why I'd consider a Non S in a C63, granted I'd try them both.

For me due to my daily driving requirements the rest of the differences are neither here nor there between the 2, and I'd bank most won't notice the difference between the diffs or let alone engine mounts due to thier daily driving requirements, style or moreover people's ability. I'm not saying the S is not a better car just that in some cases a Non S would suit a proportion of drivers requirements, ability, budget if not Mercedes wouldn't build one.

Personally I would always buy the S or Performance Pack derivative if there’s one available for the model I’m interested in. I don’t modify my cars so it makes sense to get the one which leaves the factory with the most power and biggest wheels/brakes etc.

The extra performance would be completely wasted on me though - and the same would be equally true for a standard AMG - because there’s already far too much performance to be fully used safely and responsibly on UK Roads.

Given that most drivers of fast cars don't drive everywhere at 100%, then I conclude that most people are just like me - they like to know they have the performance available should they need it, rather than wish to use it all of the time.

All of that said, I believe that condition and service history becomes much more important than spec as cars become older. For Oder cars, at first I would hold out for an S or PP but I would eventually compromise on that rather than condition.

As this thread suggests, the performance seats are a bit marmite, either loved or hated, so even if you can’t get an extended test drive, ask if you can sit in the car for a few hours without getting out to get the best feel possible before shelling out.

PS for the W/S 205, I have a feeling that for a factory order it was possible to delete the performance seats in the S model but I cannot check right now. Finding a car with that soec choice would be harder than finding that needle you lost in the haystack.

The 14 or 14 pro?

1690353499002.png
;):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom