Upgrade of sound system on 2015 S212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DoctorMesmer

Car
S212
I've recently bought my first Merc (after four Mondeos) – a late 2015 S212 E220 Bluetec that I really like. However, I'm seriously underwhelmed by the sound quality from the stock audio system. In short, it's really harsh and tinny!

I listen to proper hi-fi at home and even the stock system in my Mondeos was fine; however, the system in my S212 lacks upper bass and lower midrange. I had expected so much morefrom Mercedes and even the stereo in my 2001 Porsche Boxster is infinitely better (Becker CDR-22 – complete with boot-changer for that authentic period feel :) ).

Given that I might be firmware-upgrading the COMAND system for CarPlay/Android Auto for a few hundred pounds, what's the cheapest way to improve the sound on my S212? I'm guessing that speaker replacement might be the first stop. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Your best bet to improve shyte audio on a Merc (very common) is to add in an amp and better quality speakers.

You don't need loads of speakers. I've had systems with tweeters, 6.5" woofers and a subwoofer in the past although you may need bigger woofers if you like lower midrange.

Depending on what you have in your car now will determine what you need exactly.

www.commandonline.co.uk upgraded the audio system on my W204 and did a fantastic job, worth talking to them, see what they can offer for your S212.

I've recently bought my first Merc (after four Mondeos) – a late 2015 S212 E220 Bluetec that I really like. However, I'm seriously underwhelmed by the sound quality from the stock audio system. In short, it's really harsh and tinny!

I listen to proper hi-fi at home and even the stock system in my Mondeos was fine; however, the system in my S212 lacks upper bass and lower midrange. I had expected so much morefrom Mercedes and even the stereo in my 2001 Porsche Boxster is infinitely better (Becker CDR-22 – complete with boot-changer for that authentic period feel :) ).

Given that I might be firmware-upgrading the COMAND system for CarPlay/Android Auto for a few hundred pounds, what's the cheapest way to improve the sound on my S212? I'm guessing that speaker replacement might be the first stop. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Many thanks in advance for replies.
Email your vin to [email protected] with an outline of what you would like to achieve from the sound upgrade.

I got my COMAND firmware updated and, without a doubt, the sound has improved with slightly better bass and a little less harshness at the top end – to the extent that I had to change my tone settings to more neutral settings. It's still not what it could be, but I can live with it now.

I got my COMAND firmware updated and, without a doubt, the sound has improved with slightly better bass and a little less harshness at the top end – to the extent that I had to change my tone settings to more neutral settings. It's still not what it could be, but I can live with it now.
Comandonline stuck a sub in the boot for me - that has helped.

I'm looking at their Morel door front door speakers & tweeters next.

I had HK in my previous car and so the standard set up in this car is a bit weedy in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom